Chapter 20 -What does she have that I don't?!

Xavier's POV

Xavier's POV

I pull the shirt over me after wearing the sweats when I hear a loud voice. Within a second, I run downstairs to the kitchen where I see Madalyne retreating herself from the kitchen while staring at something.

"Madalyne! What happened?" I ask her softly while glancing inside the kitchen but find nothing.

"I- I- just saw- I-don't know....this cannot be true- but," She stutters, trying to form a sentence. I enter the kitchen to see a terrified looking Atlas, standing by the fridge. I look back and forth, trying to figure what the fuck happened. Why do both of them look terrified?

"Atlas, did you try to scare Madalyne again?" I ask, turning the lights on. He shakes his head frantically, standing like a statue. I retreat back to Madalyne who seems to debate something in her mind.

"Will someone tell me what happened?" I again ask, my voice rising higher. Madalyne walks past me, over to Atlas and begins to search around. I notice Atlas hiding something behind him but I let Madalyne do whatever she is doing.

"Atlas, where is it?" Madalyne gently asks Atlas but he grows more tense, "What are you hiding?" Madalyne notices as well. Atlas grows more reluctant and petrified.

"Xavier, I-I just saw him drinking alcohol," My body grows rigid at her words.

"What?!" I hiss, "Atlas, show what you are hiding!"

Finally, he brings his hands forward only to show a bottle of water. I exhale in relief while Madalyne frowns and shakes her head, "I saw it, I saw a different bottle," Atlas rushes out behind me while I try to calm Madalyne down.

"Madalyne, just come down, it was dark, you must have mistaken,"

"No, I- I saw it with my eyes, I saw him drinking the bottle of vodka," She grips her hair. Wrapping my arms around her, I try to soothe and pacify her but she just grows more restless, while glaring at Atlas. I even open the fridge to show her the untouched drinks.

"See, these are unopened," Closing the fridge, I try to take her outside for some fresh air. Whenever Atlas or James is around, I order to move all the liquors away. Even the mini bar is all empty so there is no way Atlas could have gotten access to any intoxicant.

"You know his mental state, Madalyne. The boy who watches Tom and Jerry every morning, who plays with James and my dog, who pulls childish pranks, how could he drink intoxicants? You know how strong vodka is, even I cannot handle it. Atlas would have smashed the bottle as soon as he tasted something so bitter," I give reasons to Madalyne. I mean he did try to burn a house down but he has changed.

"But I saw him, I swear," She mumbles, looking down at her feet.

"Maybe you saw him drinking the bottle of water," I pull her inside my car.

"Maybe. Am I going crazy?" Her eyes widen, making me hold her hand and assure her that she was nowhere near being crazy. I know she is stressing too much these past few days. I have to make sure to keep her away from any more problems.