Chapter Eleven: Them (B1)

In the middle of rich green wilderness, animal sounds echoes. Birds singing and cats roaring. The same with artelliaries around the forest.

Rustling sound could be heard in two directions of the place. One of the defenders and one for offenders. It all started when war broke out as the other side invaded them first because of their allied nation that turning them too as enemy in the invading side.

Both sides carefully run into their positions they are ordered to. No more than dozen people of both sides. Coincident? No, the defending side already discover the upcoming unit to come and made plan for ambush. Ambush in less number.

Sounds of bullet fire echo the area, the invading people slam in the ground dead unmoving. The one who cause this stood in a tree with a gun in hand and fully equipped in military suit.

The bullet she fire followed by another in some parts. She then moved jumping into another tree and locating targets; shooting them down without them noticing her presence.

The battle stop fast as their victory. With a minimal damaged: two minor injuries and one major. With their mission finished, they retreat back to where they are quietly and leaving no trace behind.

When they all are back in their camp, they firstly hand the injured to the medics. And their leader turn to another its direction to deliver her report.

Entering the barracks, she salute her superior and blood relative, the ones in charge of military affairs- her uncle. She report all up until the end of the mission. Her uncle dismissed her without further ado.

Its expressionless face didn't change one a bit. All he did was stand up from its chair at the middle in her report and turn his back on her, facing the window and watching his people around that place.

After closing the door, she sigh a deep one. She look at her palm for something in mind. She close slowly and wears a smile exiting the tent.

She was greeted by her crew, scattered waiting for her. When they notice her, they sigh in relief. And begin to ask.

"So...what did the general told you?"

"Is it another mission?"

"Will he...?"

She sigh inwardly from their mind set but can't blame them, they had reasons.

"No mission this time. For now, we'll be in stand by"

"Woha!!"

"Great!"

They cheer. They are over-working this past few days that they wanted to beg, only that its not possible. All they could do was pray and/or for miracle to happened.

"Enjoy your time, I'll be on my way~"

They all salute her with same timing of "yes, Ma'am!"

She found her way to another tent. This time, she browse the list at the table as no in-charge could she found. She carefully read all the writing, searching for something. Browsing it at the fourth page, someone came.

"I'm sorry Lieutenant Viet but we got no letter for you today as well" he said with a concern and sad manner.

Hearing what he said, her hand stop flipping the page. It slowly fall, placing the list in the table she force a smile. That smile is obvious but the soldier didn't comment on it.

"I see comrade. Thank you for telling me..." she said smiling at him and turn her back fast leaving the area.

Leaving that place, she gone somewhere in the forest surrounding the camp. The sound of nature calm her heart a bit and started to think. Before so, she take a deep breath.

"Hmm... haaa~" she taking in a deep breath and exhaling a frustrating sigh. She don't know what got her, not getting used in the situation, its been 2 months now after the letters stop coming. She still continue to write them but they did stop for long now. She don't know the situation making her mind think of something else- abandonment?

Did her family really did...? She question herself, started to overthinking.

Realizing her action, she face palm. But her mind didn't stop. Even despite victory in her hands, she can't bring herself to celebrate after her family stop writing.

'No, maybe they have circumstances. Yes that's it. Let's wait a bit longer' she cheer herself. As usual, thinking that way for 2 months now.

She give herself a few slaps and encouragement before she walk back the camp.

As she walk, she meet some comrade in the same unit. They are drinking with other units. With alcohol and story telling, her crew excitedly told the others how their mission success.

Stopping on her track when she heard something out of ordinary, she stand by the side and continue listening. At some time they finally notice her and happily wave back. They invites her for a drink and accompaniment.

She smile and slowly made her way on their table. She grins at the one doing the telling and said, "this guy, twisting the story."

"H- huh? I- um... am I mistaken?" He whisper the last words and questioning if he's drunk to be mistaken.

"Let me tell you how it did happened. Bring more alcohol, this will be a long night~" she smirk.

Starting the from how they got the mission and the detail of upcoming unit on the east, she smile drowning at the moment.

She told them the story, twisting some part in exaggerating manner. Most twists parts are about their vice captain, who she loves to tease and perform prank on.

Knowing what their captain is trying to do, they back her up telling some nonsense and happening that time which didn't happened. As a group, they really like pissing the guy off, a habit they accumulate in their year of being together.

Surely when the news reach the vice captain's ear, they get another beating and nagging. But they are used to it and you'll end up like that when he catch you so try not to. He is after all the vice captain who work hard to earn a position, it means that
you'll recover long time when he beats you.

Thankful, the vice captain separate ways with them after the mission to connect at the other units near that vicinity in mission. It will take day or two for him to come back.

As the night gets deeper, their laughters echo the camp. Some grumble, some complain, some watch, some join, and some act like they don't exist. With another victory, they were are able to defend their land yet again.