PT1 - Daniel Ricciardo

You groan while you stumble further upon the path, readjusting your backpack on your sore shoulders. The idea to start walking without an actual plan seemed really fun the first day, you felt free and enjoyed being in nature. You were on day five now, and it wasn't as fun anymore. You look at your phone screen, seeing you have only 20% left because you hadn't been able to charge it the last three days. You forgot to bring a power bank, which had given you a minor mental breakdown already on day three.

You walk for another hour before slumping down on a big stone next to a river. You can feel blisters forming, but figure out that it's probably better to not take off your shoes now. You take your heavy backpack from your shoulders, sighing out from relief when you feel the weight leave your body. You take your water bottle out, sipping from it while staring at the view.

The water calmly ripples past you, birds chirp around while the leaves rustle. The peacefulness you feel now was the reason why you decided to take these weeks off. Work has been hectic, your apartment felt suffocating, and you were tired of people. You take a bite from the fruity cookie you brought, munching on it while closing your eyes when the sun starts shining brightly on you. You weren't really prepared to walk this long though, you had started to realise that after day three, which saw you cry against a tree because your phone battery died, and you were tired and sore.

Giving up wasn't an option though, it wasn't in your nature to give up, and if you did give up it meant walking back the same way you came. You wouldn't win anything with that. Looking around you now, seeing the animals and trees, made you realise that it was good to be out here now. You look at your watch, seeing that it's 3PM, meaning that it would be smart to get your backpack on your shoulders again since the sun went down rather quickly here, and you weren't in the mood to walk in a darkening forest.

You walk further with newfound energy, humming along to the sounds of the birds while you look around. You have seen 5 people in total on this trail in the last five days, which you found rather disturbing if you thought about it too long. You didn't really understand why, since it seemed like the campsites that are close to the track are used by a lot of people. You curse when you place your foot wrong, feeling the blisters pop. "Fuck, fuck, fuck my life" you groan, hissing when you stumble forward.

You're fighting against the pain while walking further, thinking that at this rate it would definitely take you another two hours before you'd make it to the campsite. As if it wasn't terrible enough already, you also managed to sprain your ankle 20 minutes ago. You were walking cautiously to not hurt the blistered skin of your feet, but that resulted in mis stepping on a stone. You sit down on a fallen tree, crying with your face in your hands until you're so tired that you can barely keep your eyes open.

You jolt up when you feel someone touch you, looking into worried brown eyes when you open your eyes. "Are you okay? It worried me that you were practically sleeping on a tree" he says with a thick accent, concern lacing his voice. "Y-yeah, no, I'm okay" you mumble, blinking while realising that you actually fell asleep on the tree trunk. You blush when the unknown man keeps looking into your eyes. "Okay, I think you're lying to me, which is understandable because you don't know me. I'm Daniel, please let me help you" he says, stretching out his hand for you to shake it.

You stare at the tanned hand, a small three is tattooed on his pink and you look at it curiously before placing your hand in his, shaking it softly before telling him your name. You groan when you move, feeling the tears prickle against your eyes when you try to move your ankle. "Did you sprain your ankle?" Daniel, as you now know, asks with a worried face. You nod, groaning when you see that it's getting darker already. "I've got some painkillers, and tape but I think it's better to use that before you go to sleep. If you take your shoe off now it'll probably swell" he tells you. You nod, accepting the painkillers gratefully before taking them with some water.