PT1 - Max Verstappen

The sound of a child crying shakes you from your nap, and you look around confused until you remember where you are. One of your good friends dragged you with her on a holiday with her friend group, who you've seen a handful times. They were nice people, and you were excited to see how these two weeks would unfold. The only one you couldn't really get along with was Max, but you hadn't seen him around yet. His cockiness annoyed you, especially when it came to his behaviour towards women. For some reason he felt like he could get anyone he wanted, which made you dislike him the first night you met him. There was something in the way he carried himself that made you feel uncomfortable, but you hadn't really figured out what exactly made you feel that way. The times you had talked to him usually ended in you scoffing at him, with him grinning at you with an amused and satisfied face. The disliking was most likely mutual, which is why you decided to only join your friend when he wasn't present at gatherings.

"Why is there a child crying?" you mumble, getting up from your bed before shuffling downstairs. You had arrived two days ago, but the travelling tiredness had only hit you today, which is why you took a nap. The sight that greets you when you're downstairs makes you stop dead in your tracks, rubbing your eyes in confusion before you look around the room for an explanation. "How was your nap?" your friend asks, looking at you with a confused expression when you ask what he's doing here. "Max? I told you he'd arrive a little later, right?" you shake your head at her question, groaning when she looks at you with fake innocence, "I must have forgotten!"

Your confusion only grows when you see the small girl, almost a toddler, tugging at Max' leg while she's crying. He's trying to put some things down so he can hold her, looking around himself with a helpless look in his eyes until he spots you and your friend. "Isi, please. Daddy is trying to pick you up, but he has a lot in his hands right now darling" he shushes, trying to manoeuvre towards the kitchen so he can put the stuff in his hands down. The small girl only starts to cry harder, and you look at the two of them for a few more seconds before you walk towards them to take things from Max' hands. The small girl has a different idea though, immediately clinging onto you when you're in reach before putting her hands in the air while crying even harder. "Oh, hi sweetheart. I wanted to take stuff from your dad so he can pick you up" you say softly, crouching down towards her level while you talk.

A gasp leaves your lips when she immediately flings her arms around your neck, mumbling "up" while pressing her face against your collarbone. You look at Max, about to ask if you can pick her up until you see his more relaxed expression. "Just pick her up please, I'll take her from you when I'm done with putting everything away if that's okay" he asks, gesturing towards all the things around him. "Okay" you reply, standing up with the girl in your arms. She has finally stopped crying, resting her small head against your collarbone while looking around the room curiously. "What's your name?" you ask her, walking towards the windows to show her the view and to get away from Max' presence. "Ishabel" she mumbles before putting her thumb in her mouth, looking at the view of the sea while you stroke her back with your free hand. While the two of you stand in silence you try to figure out what her name exactly is. Baby language isn't your strongest point. While thinking you also realise that in the time you've known Max you never knew he had a daughter.

It could be that your friend didn't feel like she had to tell you that because she knows you don't like him or that he found out quite recently that he's a dad. The way he seemed to womanize at the parties that you did see him at made the last one quite a plausible option. You look at the face of the small girl when it seems like she got heavier all of a sudden, a smile forming on your lips when you see that she fell asleep with her thumb in her mouth. "Are you so tired darling" you mumble, walking towards the armchair before sitting down with caution. Max is nowhere to be seen, but you figure he's probably unpacking his and his daughters stuff. You sink into the cushions, wondering where your friend is, while you play with the hair of the small sleeping child. 'Such a her thing to leave in that situation' you muse to yourself, smiling at the thought of one of your closest friends. Due to your busy schedules it is hard to see each other more often, but every time you're together it's as if you've seen each other yesterday. She thought you disliking Max was "cute" in her words, suggesting that the two of you should go on a date to realise how compatible you are. The death stare you gave her that night is now one of your favourite inside jokes.

The sound of footsteps approaching makes you look up, a strained smile on your lips when you see Max walking towards you. "Thank you so much, I don't think she has ever done that before so I'm sorry that I didn't react quicker" he says, looking at you with a soft smile while you look away awkwardly. "It's nothing really" you reply eventually, looking outside again so you don't have to look at him. "I'll put her to bed now, it's her nap time anyways" Max says then, smiling at his daughter when you slowly untangle her from your body. "Her name is Isabelle in case you didn't understand her" he says then, smiling warmly at you before cradling his daughter and walking towards their shared bedroom. You watch his disappearing figure, frowning when you feel how warm your cheeks are. Did you just blush because of Max?

The next few days you're unable to get away from Max since Isabelle adores you and wants to do everything together with you. You don't really mind, trying to be nice to Max as much as possible and mostly focussing on his daughter. You've been warming up to him more than you'd like to admit, feeling weird when he's close to you while he talks to Isabelle when she's in your arms and blushing when he smiles the lazy smile at you. You let out a sigh when you step under the shower, closing your eyes while thinking about the moment the two of you shared today. You were walking towards him to take Isabelle from him, stumbling over a toy that was laying around. He caught your arm, stabilizing you while looking at you with a concerned expression. It took you a few seconds before you answered his questions about if you were okay, since you were too busy staring into his eyes. You groan, taking your shampoo before washing your hair, trying to forget about the encounter all together.

The table is filled with food, laughter echoing through the house while your heels clack on the stairs. The idea for tonight was to eat at the holiday home, but everyone had to dress up. This way Isabelle could go to sleep at her normal time without any hassle, and everyone could have a drink or multiple. You decided to wear a green silky dress, ending just above your knees and with a cowl neck to show of your cleavage. You don't register Max' reaction on your outfit, since you're too busy gawking at him. He's wearing a black button up, the top buttons opened which gives you a clear view on his muscled neck, with a pair of black slacks underneath. It's the simplest outfit, but it's doing things to you. You quickly sit down, cursing under your breath when he takes the seat across from you. "You look pretty" he says, winking when you stare at him with wide eyes. Luckily your friend asks you something, distracting you from Max' piercing eyes.

You mumble a sorry when you stroke Max' shin with your foot when you put one leg over the other, focussing on your friend and deciding to ignore Max. You stiffen when you suddenly feel something stroking your lower leg, about to look under the table to see what's going on when you see Max grinning at you. You look away from him, nibbling on your lower lip when he keeps teasing you. The temperature in the room seems to rise, and you feel your cheeks heating up while Max continues to touch your legs under the table. You lean forward to grab your glass of water, looking up with wide eyes when you hear Max groan while his eyes are fixated on your cleavage. Instead of being embarrassed when the two of you lock eyes, he does something that makes you weak in the knees. He holds eye contact for a few seconds before slowly dragging his eyes over your face, towards your cleavage, while licking his lips, grinning at you when you part your lips with a soft gasp.

When everyone at the table suggests playing a few games you smile, shaking your head before telling them that you're tired and going to bed. A breath leaves your lips when you make it to your bedroom, leaning against the door after closing it to calm your rapidly beating heart. Max knew what he was doing, and it was becoming harder and harder for you to dislike him. It was clear that you misjudged him, but you never thought he'd be interested in you in the slightest. Maybe he isn't, he might just like to tease you.