Chapter 69 | The Prelude

TWO MONTHS LATER

Aliyah P.O.V.

I placed my bag up on my shoulder, as I rushed out of Dr.Kelly's office.

"Aliyah, hurry up, we don't have all day,"

I smiled a little to myself once I seen mama parked out front of the office.

"I'm coming, sorry," I jogged over to the car, pulling open the passenger seat door.

"Sorry," I started as I slid into my seat. "Dr.Kelly and I went a little over time today,"

"I see," mama said, looking over at me. "How was your session today?"

I buckled my seatbelt, nodding my head. "Good, she's flying home for the holidays, so we were just talking about our plans and stuff,"

Mama smirked. "Well hopefully y'all got a chance to talk about other things too,"

I chuckled. "We did,"

I leaned back into my seat, pulling my compact mirror out of my purse. I flipped it open, checking out my hair in the mirror.

"Your hair looks fine," mama said, keeping her eyes on the road

I chuckled a little, before closing my mirror. "Sorry.....I'm just not used to the short hair thing yet,"

"I get it," she started. "I cut my hair back in my twenties, it took me a minute to get used too but I ended up loving it,"

I smiled a little bit, looking over at her. "What? I never knew that, why'd you cut it?"

She sighed. "For a fresh start,"

I was going through a lot with your father, and when I thought I was I was done him, I ended up cutting my hair to feel as if I was starting fresh, but we all see how that ended," she slightly chuckled, shaking her head.

"As my hair grew back, so did my feelings for your father apparently,"

My smile widened. "How many times did you and daddy break up before you got married? Cause it really seems like you had a dysfunctional relationship,"

Mama laughed as she turned out of Dr.Kelly's parking lot. "Dysfunctional is a understatement,"

"But that's old news and way behind us thankfully, actually you're probably too young to remember this, but we separated for a little bit when you were about five I think,"

I sat back in my seat, thinking. "Mmmm no I don't remember that, but wow.....you and daddy have a history......hopefully you weren't cutting your hair off each time y'all two went through something,"