Chapter 39

A.J P.O.V.

I leaned back into my work chair, taking a deep breath. I had just got off the phone with mama, and I was beyond shocked, at the news she just gave me

I had no clue that Auntee Stasia had cancer, let alone diagnosed as a stage four. I sat back in shock at the fact that she passed, and I was a million miles away from all my family right now.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes, when there was a knock at my office door.

I cleared my throat, quickly sitting up straight. "Come in."

My door slowly opened, until I saw Mariah standing in the door way with some envelopes in her hand. "There's mail for you from last week when you were gone." I nodded, motioning for her to come in.

"You can come in."

She stepped inside, closing the door behind herself. She walked up to my desk, shuffiling through the handful of enevelopes she had in her hands, before dropping three on my desk.

"Good afternoon, by the way."

"Sorry.....Good afternoon." I said lowly. I ran a hand down my face. "Thanks for the mail."

"You're welcome......is everything alright?" She looked me up and down, most likely taking in the stress that was written all over my face.

"Im good," I started. "Just got some bad news, but Im straight." She frowned, tucking the rest of the mail underneath her arm.

"Oh no......nothing happened with your daughter right?" I shook my head. "Nah, nah, nothing like that,"

She took a sigh of relief. "Good.......how did everything go at court? Im hoping things got resolved."

I sighed, leaning deeper into my seat. "Court went fine......it was just what took place after court that has me a bit fucked up,"

"....Well what happened after court?" She said. "Please dont tell me you tried pushing up on your ex-girl. I told you, she's gonna need some time and space to heal first, don't make it worse on yourself."

I sighed.

"I never pushed up on her.....well....I mean, we ended up having sex, but whatever I thought that may have meant, she made sure to correct me before I flew back home."

"Damn," She mumbled.

"When was the last time you saw her, before last week?" I glanced over at the pictureof Marissa and Sky that I still had on my desk, feeling sad.

"Like 3 1/2 almost 4 months."

"And that was the last time you saw your daughter too, right?" I nodded. "Yeah."

"....Well Im sorry that things went left for you and your girl.....just think of this as a minor setback, for a major comeback. If things are meant to be with you and her, it'll work itself out.....maybe not overnight, but you get what I mean."

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"....How was spending time with your daughter?" She asked, speaking up again. I cracked a small smile, thinking about my baby.

"Amazing as always, she's still super chunky, and she's saying a few more words now, actually I got a video of me playing with her, come look."

Mariah smiled, as she made her way around my desk, as I pulled out my phone. I unlocked it, finding the video of Sky and I building towers with her baby blocks.

"Oh my god, she's cuter than what I imagined." I smiled. "Yeah, she looks just like her mama.....that's why she's so beautiful."

Mariah smiled again. "And you definetely aren't lying, mama is chunky." I chuckled. "She's get that appetite from me,  she can eat, trust me."