Chapter 40

Amara P.O.V.

I stepped inside the hospital, as my breath became shaky all over again. It had only been a few hours since I been here last, but to me it felt like days.

I walked down the same hallway I was in not too long ago, making my way towards one of the nurses that helped mama.

"Excuse me," I said, gently grabbing her arm. "My name is Amara Baker, my mother passed almost a day ago...and Im just here to pick up her belongings."

The nurse smiled at me, placing her hand on top of mine. "I remember you honey, wait right here, I'll go grab Ms.Smith's things for you."

I forced out a small smile, watching her walk away. Once she did, my eyes began to sting again, but I didn't want to cry. It was all I had been doing for the past few hours and it was exhausting.

Tony and Marissa both offered to come down to get mama's things the day the funeral director was coming down for her body, so I didn't have too, but I wanted to do it, alone.

This was my first step in accepting mama's death, and begin my grieving process, and I didn't need anyone trying to coddle me through it. I needed to face this head on for my self.

A few seconds later, the nurse re-appeared with a clear ziplock bag, filled with mama's jewelry, heels and her dress that she wore to the engagement party. I could also see her cell phone in the bag as well.

"Here you go baby," The nurse said, handing me the bag. "We laundered the dress for you, to remove the stains,and everything else was handled with care." I slightly smiled again as my eyes filled with a few tears. "Thank you,"

"No problem baby, god bless you and your family,"

I tucked the bag underneath my arm, making my way over to the cafeteria area. It had been a few hours since I eaten anything, and finally my appetitie was slowly coming back to me. I knew I needed to put something in my stomach, before I passed out.

I kept walking towards the cafeteria as I reached down into my purse, looking for my phone. I wanted to let Tony know that I picked up mama's things and that I was doing okay, since he's been checking on me constantly.

I reached my hand further down in my bag,searching for my phone, stepping into line in one of the small concession stands they hand here.

I pulled out my phone, and tapped on Tony and I's message thread when I heard a familair voice infront of me.

"You sure y'all out of the pudding cups?? Y'all got any chocolate chip cookies? I gotta bring something back."

I scrunched up my face, and tilted to the side, looking at the front of the line. From the sound of the voice, I could automatically tell who it was, but I knew I had to be tripping, there was no way he could be here.

"No more pudding cups baby, and you can try the other concession line for the cookies."

He sighed. "Alright, thank you."

I dropped my phone in my pocket and waited until he turned around. I automatically frowned once I seen Ty walking away from the front of the line.

"Ty?" I asked, slightly confused. "What are you doing here?" I pulled my bag up on my shoulder as I stepped out of the line, waiting for him to answer.

"Amara." He said looking slightly shocked.

"I uh....I've been out here since yesterday morning." He said, answering me.

I sighed. "You must've heard about my mom......I appreciate you coming here as fast as you did, but...... my mom passed a few hours ago." I swalloed hard, trying not to cry again.