Big Commitments & Facing The Music

"You're serious aren't you?" Clary asked as she searched Jace's face for any sign of joking.

"As serious as the time I asked you last," Jace answered. Clary thought it over. Running through dilemmas and situations and problems that they she could face if she said yes. Then she ran through all the good things that could happen if she said yes. Clary started smiling. The grin on her face growing wider and wider. She jumped on Jace so he was being pressed into his mattress and Clary was lying on top of him.

"Yes." Clary whispered.

"You will?" Jace asked.

"There's no one else I'd rather marry and you said it yourself. We're Shadowhunters; we don't know what's coming. You could be ripped from me in a moments notice or I could be from you and I'm tired of living in fear. I want to marry you Jace even if my mom and Luke doesn't want me to." Clary answered.

"That's a big commitment, you know." Jace said.

"What is?" Clary asked.

"Saying yes to marrying someone that your parents don't want you to marry." Jace answered.

"Don't tell me that you're already having cold feet." Clary smiled.

"Of course not, I want to marry you so much but I'm just making sure you've thought it through." Jace said.

"Jace, I've thought about it as much as I want and I want to marry you. I don't care what anyone else thinks but us." Clary said. Jace flipped Clary over so he was on top and kissed her slowly.

"Good, I believe you need this." Jace answered and held the ring out to Clary. She knew the ring immediately.

"Jace, you surely cannot be serious." Clary whispered.

"It is a tradition in the Shadowhunter world that we give the woman we intend to marry our family ring." Jace answered and took Clary's left hand. He slid the ring onto her finger. It fit perfectly, as if the Herondale family ring had been made for Clary.

"I love you." Clary said.

"I love you too. Do you know why we put the ring on this finger?" Jace asked.

"No." Clary whispered.

"Because it's the only finger with a vein that leads to the heart," Jace answered as he traced a line from Clary's finger which held the ring all the way to her heart. Clary didn't answer him she just kissed him. "Can you stay here tonight?"

"I'm not supposed to but if my phone magically turned off I wouldn't get a call from my mom telling me to come home." Clary answered. Jace slid Clary's phone out of the shorts she was wearing and turned it off.

"Look, magic." Jace said and started kissing Clary again.

***

"Can I wear a gold dress?" Val asked as they sat in the living room of the big grand house.

"One day, Val. I promise." Clary answered as she held her hands tightly together.

"Val, can you go help mother finish getting ready?" Jonathan asked. Val got up and skipped her way out of the room.

"Why did you send her away?" Clary asked as she turned her body to face Jonathan as he walked around the room to sit down next to Clary. Her eyes followed him.

"Because I know that you're nervous and you don't like Val to see you like that." Jonathan answered.

"I am not nervous." Clary argued.

"You're a very bad liar, you know. Of course you're nervous, everyone is on their wedding day and if you're not I'm worried." Jonathan said.

"Okay, you're right. What if something goes wrong? What if I faint? What do I do then?" Clary asked.

"You won't, I promise and father won't let you fall." Jonathan answered.

"How do you know that though?" Clary asked.

"Because remember we're all here with you even if it's here," Jonathan pointed to Clary's heart. "or in real life. You need to remember Clary that this is a dream. Val doesn't know that, mother and father don't know that, Jace doesn't either but you and me do. You need to remember that this is how you wanted me to be not how I was but I'll be like this on your wedding day if you want even if I'm not actually there. Just remember, the boy with the green eyes is always watching down on you." Jonathan said. Clary embraced her brother and felt as if everything was right. Jonathan hugged her back and kissed her forehead.

"Thank you, I love you." Clary whispered.

"I love you too. Now come on, I bet Val hasn't gone and helped mother. She's probably eating more cake." Jonathan chuckled and helped Clary up.

***

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Jace, there's someone at your door." Clary whispered as she kept her eyes closed. She could feel herself smiling. She felt Jace's arms relax around her.

"I know." Jace whispered back. He slowly moved and Clary could hear his feet padding across the floor. She kept her eyes closed though wanting to keep the image of her and Jonathan embracing in her mind as long as she could.

"Jocelyn's here." Alec's voice said.

"What do you mean?" Jace asked.

"I mean the woman who gave birth to your girlfriend is sat in the library ranting at mom." Alec answered.

"I'm not his girlfriend." Clary said opening her eyes. Jace had put some black jogging bottoms on, luckily.

"What? Are you friends with benefits now or something?" Alec asked.

"No, Alec." Jace answered.

"Then what are you?" Alec asked.

"I don't wear big rocks on my finger for no reason Alec." Clary said.

"You mean, you asked her again?" Alec asked Jace.

"No, she stormed in here last night and told me that she was marrying me whether I liked it or not so now I'm stuck with her for the rest of my life. Of course I asked her again but there was no shouting involved in this proposal." Jace answered.

"And you said yes?" Alec asked Clary. She nodded in approval. "Good luck."

"Shut up." Jace said.

"What were you saying about my mom?" Clary asked.

"Oh yeah, she's basically on a path of destruction to try and find you and to kill him." Alec said pointing at Jace.

"Well erm, that's not the best news to wake up to." Jace answered.

"Thanks Alec, for letting us know. Oh and don't tell anyone about the engagement." Clary said.

"Course not." Alec answered and left the room closing the door behind him.

"Do you want me to go and talk to her?" Jace asked as he went and sat on the bed.

"No don't worry I will. I don't want to find out that my fiancee has been killed by my mom." Clary answered.

"Okay, I'm going to go to the training room. Come find me after and tell me what happened." Jace said.

"Okay, love you." Clary said.

"Love you too." Jace answered and kissed Clary on the forehead. He quickly got dressed and left the room.

Time to face the music.

Picture is of the engagement ring Jace gave to Clary.