The Party Don't Start 'Til Someone Gets Held Back

"What's up?" Jace asked Clary as she leaned against the free flowing bar letting the vibrant purple liquid pass her lips.

"Nothing, I've just got a lot on my plate." Clary brushed him off setting the empty glass down and tried to flag down the bartender.

"Come dance?" Jace offered as a distraction and even though she wasn't really in the mood, Clary allowed herself to be dragged out onto the dance floor. Magnus and Alec were there, as if they were in their own little bubble, and even though Clary hadn't seen him come in Simon was dancing with Izzy.

Clary scanned the room for Magnus and Alec but found that they were no where in sight. She didn't particularlywant to dwell on what they could be doing so instead Clary carried on dancing.

"Miss Morgenstern," Magnus' familiar voice came from behind her. Clary spun round to face the warlock who was obviously not off with his boyfriend. "He's here. Isaac would like to see you now."

"I'll come with you." Jace said starting off in the direction Magnus had come from.

"Sorry Mr Herondale, this meeting is strictly for Clary and Isaac. However, I'll get your fiancée back to as soon as possible." Magnus explained to Jace and quickly whisked Clary away from the dance floor and down a corridor Clary didn't think she'd ever been down in the Bane residence. Magnus ushered Clary into a room and closed the door behind the two of them; it was pitch black, like what Clary imagined the pits of Hell to look like. However, Clary knew that Hell looked very different from this. She was pulled back to reality when Magnus began to speak.

"Isaac, you know I do hate it when you play tricks." Magnus commented and allowed blue sparks to fly from his fingers. The light returned from the room. Isaac's body was stretched out on a chaise longue which looked like red velvet, matching the walls of the room; Magnus had always been one for the aesthetics of a room. He was constantly trying to move Alec's room around in the Institute.

"Miss Morgenstern, pleasure to see you again." Isaac commented pointing to the armchairs across from him. Clary sunk into one. Despite it's looks it was rather comfortable. Magnus, instead of sitting, rested his arms on the top of the armchairs. For a moment Clary thought that Magnus looked genuinely tired but his composure returned soon after.

"Pleasure Isaac." Clary nodded in his direction. 

Isaac was unlike any warlock Clary had met so he was rather unlike Magnus. Isaac was dressed in an evening trousers of plain black and a white shirt underneath which was unbuttoned down to almost the last button visible seeing as the shirt itself was tucked in. Over the top of Isaac's crisp white shirt was a navy blue jacket with epaulettes and military medals all over it meaning it made a noise whenever Isaac repositioned himself and in certain lights the medals shone wildly. Even though Isaac had styled his outfit in a way that was slightly outrageous it was extremely understated, making Clary wonder whether Magnus was the exception to the rest of Lilith's children.

"This old thing? I got it during the war, blood's an awful stain to try and remove but after centuries of trying I think I've finally done it." Isaac said looking down at his jacket which had slightly mesmerized Clary.

"What war?" Clary asked with growing interest.

"Either the War of 1812 or the American Civil War, I've been in so many now; it's hard to quite remember which jacket is from which." Isaac answered nonchalantly, Clary's jaw fell slack.

"Isaac, shall we quite move on from the wars you've been involved in? Most of them were probably started by you." Magnus rolled his eyes as Isaac swirled the bright green liquid around his champagne flute.