Ready or Not?

Ready or Not?

"Izzy! Izzy where are you?" Clary asked as she strolled into Izzy's bedroom. 

"I'm in the bathroom!" Izzy shouted back. Clary walked over to the open bathroom door and stood in the doorway.

"I just had a very compassionate conversation in a bathroom just like this," Clary said looking round at the plain white walls and the makeup strewn all over the counter. "Except there wasn't as much lipstick." 

"Well I think that red lipstick would go very nicely with Jace's hair but that's my opinion." 

"How did you..." Clary started.

"Oh come on Clary it's obvious. Anyway what's the problem now?" Izzy said waving her red lipstick at Clary. A second later she was applying a layer of red lipstick in the mirror.

"There's no problem I just wanted to tell you that I'm going out for a drink with Jace." 

"In that outfit?" Izzy asked.

"Why what wrong with it?"

"Well it's just your going out for a drink with Jace, your boyfriend, and you kind of look like you just woke up."

"Okay thanks for the criticism. What do you suggest I do?" 

"Clary you have so much to learn," Izzy said placing her hands on Clary's shoulders and wheeling her into the main bedroom and sitting her on the bed. Izzy walked over to her wardrobe and started throwing an outfit on the bed next to Clary. "Well, there's a bathroom over there go get changed then I'll do your hair and makeup. Now shoo I have to pick out your shoes."

Clary picked up the clothes lying next to her and strolled over to the bathroom and closed the door behind her. She took her jacket, shirt and jeans off and picked up what looked like a piece of black material. When she slipped it over her head and stared at herself in the mirror she was in utter awe.

The dress, which was a simple black strapless dress, showed off parts off Clary didn't even know she had. On the floor next to her clothes, which she had just recently disregarded, was a leather jacket. She slipped it on. The jacket finished just above her stomach. She took a look at herself in the mirror and took a deep breath. She opened the bathroom door and walked back into Izzy's room leaving her old clothes behind her. 

"Clary you look amazing!" Izzy squealed. 

"Thanks Izzy." Clary said as she went and sat on the bed.

"Let's do your hair and makeup."

"Actually I think I want my hair like this. Jace always likes it down." Clary said staring down at her palms and blushing.

"Okay but let me put some makeup on you, please," Izzy pleaded. Clary nodded. Izzy grabbed her hand and sat her in front of the dressing table which was strewn with makeup just like in the bathroom. Izzy applied a simple pink lipstick onto Clary's lips and some dark purple eye shadow to her lids with a think line of winged out black eyeliner on top of it. Izzy took a deep breath in looked at what she had created and let out a small sigh. "You're done." Izzy said excitedly.

"Thank you Izzy for everything. I just realized this is like the first time I went out with Shadowhunters." Clary replied looking at her reflection in the mirror. 

"You're welcome," Izzy said with a tear forming in the corner of her eye. She drew Clary into a tight embrace then let go brushing off Clary's shoulders and wiping her eyes. "Your boots are by the door. Now go have fun." Clary slipped on the thigh high leather boots and zipped them up.

"Bye." Clary said. She turned her back on Izzy and walked out the door feeling more confident than ever.

As she strolled than the cold hallways of the Institute she couldn't help but look down at herself and wonder if Jace would like what she was wearing and if he'd like how she looked. It was too late as Clary was about to turn the corner to the elevators. Her breath caught in her throat as she caught a glimpse of Jace.

She pressed her body up against the wall so Jace couldn't see her. She peeked round the corner to check if what she had seen was real; and it was. Jace was wearing a tuxedo and in his hands was a bouquet of red roses. Clary remembered that she hadn't been breathing. She let out a massive breath. She looked down at herself and realized she couldn't wear what she was wearing when Jace was standing by the elevator in a tuxedo. She unzipped her boots and slipped them off. She picked them up and ran back to Izzy's room without a look back.