The Great Rooftop Escape.

"I have an idea." Jace said as he paced the length of the room and Clary sat on the bed drawing the view from the room she was locked up inside of.

"And what is this idea?" Clary asked as she shaded the sky in.

"Let's escape." Jace smirked.

"Escape?"

"Yeah as in sneak out of this room and go somewhere else."

"I understand the term but where would we go? And plus you're tp leave anytime you please." Clary asked as she closed her sketch pad that Jace had gotten her so she wouldn't die of boredom.

"Yeah but if I go somewhere you'll definitely die of boredom and so will I if I leave alone. This is why you need to escape so we can go have fun together." Jace answered going over to the bed and kneeling in front of Clary.

"And where do you suggest we go?" Clary asked.

"Well if I told you it would ruin the surprise," Jace said as he got off the bed and held his hand out to Clary. She took his hand willignly. "Bring your sketch pad, you'll kick yourself if you don't."

"Okay." Clary answered and grabbed her sketch pad and pencils.

"Just a minute." Jace said and ran into the bathroom. Clary stood in the middle of the room she'd been couped up in for three days as the shower turned on.

"You are not having a shower!" Clary shouted over the running water.

"No, of course I'm not. It's a decoy. If anyone comes in they'll think you're in the shower." Jace answered as he walked out the bathroom and closed the door behind him.

"Very clever, Mr Herondale." Clary smirked and they snuck out her room hand in hand.

***

Jace had outdone himself. A rooftop picnic with the sun setting. He was right; Clary was gald she'd brought her sketch pad. Seeing the sunset from her room through the window was one thing but seeing it in person was completely different.

"It's amazing." Clary breathed.

"I do try." Jace smiled and led her over to the picnic blanket. They sat down next to each other and Jace passed Clary a flute of champagne.

"How do you come up with this stuff?" Clary asked as she sipped her champagne.

"Well I am a Herondale." Jace smiled as he gulped his champagne down in one.

"You're also going to become an alcoholic." Clary laughed.

"We'll be Jace Herondale and Clary Fray, the alcoholic and the nutcase." Jace chuckled.

"That has a ring to it that does but you got my name wrong." Clary answered.

"No I didn't." Jace said.

"You did." Clary pointed out.

"How?" Jace asked.

"Well, I've been thinking about it. I've never had a proper last name; I've been a Fray, a Fairchild and a Morgenstern. So, I thought I want to at least for a short time be called a Morgenstern because that's what my dad's last name and my brother's last name. I know that they were evil a lot of the time but at the end of the day their blood runs through my veins." Clary answered.

"So we'll be Jace Herondale and Clary Morgenstern, the alcoholic and the nutcase." Jace chuckled.

"That indeed." Clary laughed as she took her sketch pad from beside her and started to sketch the setting sun on a new page.

"Have you ever thought of selling your art?" Jace asked.

"Yes I have but I won't do it." Clary answered.

"Why?"

"Because art is special to me. Once I've drawn something in a certain way I can't draw it in that way again. It'll never look the same again like the sunset. One sunset won't look like the other and the next second the sunset will have changed colour and look different than what it did the second previously. That's why I won't sell my art."

"Very interesting so you wouldn't even sell me a piece?" Jace asked.

"No because if you asked me to draw you something I'd give it to you." Clary said and quickly kissed him on the lips.

"Well can you draw something for me then?" Jace asked.

"Of course, what did you want drawing?" Clary answered.

"Surprise me." Jace smirked.

"That's very helpful." Clary said sarcastically.

"I have something for you." Jace said after they had finished eating chocolate covered strawberries.

"What is it?" Clary asked as Jace handed her a box.

"Open it and you'll find out." Jace answered.

Clary slowly took the lid off the box and gasped as she saw what lay inside it. Sitting in the bottom of the box on top of a small pilliow was a silver chain bracelet with a few charms spread around it.

"It's beautiful." Clary breathed.

"Do you want me to help put it on?" Jace asked. Clary nodded and passed Jace the bracelet. He wrapped it round Clary's wrist amd clasped it together.

"Thank you." Clary answered and kissed him.

"The charms all mean something. You want me to explain them?" Jace smiled.

"Please." Clary smiled back.

"So this one is obviously an art pallete thing because of your love for art. This one is a seraph blade to remind you that even though you weren't always a Shadowhunter you alsways will be. This one is of coffee, Simon told me to get you this one because of your love of coffee. This one is just green because I thought that way you'd always have a piece of Jonathan with you. And then the last one is a pair of angels wings to remind you that you're my angel." Jace explained and kissed Clary.

"It's amazing, thank you. Really I mean it. This is probably one of the best presents I've ever recieved." Clary answered and shivered.

"Are you cold?" Jace asked.

"Kind of." Clary whispered as she wrapped her arms around her body.

"Come on, let's go back." Jace answered.

"Okay." Clary said and they walked back to Clary's room hand in hand. Clary felt happier than she had in days maybe even weeks and maybe even months.