If Jonathan's Eyes Were Green

"Why the hell can't I see her?" Jace shouted as he stormed down the corridor.

"Mr Herondale, you can't just go waltzing in there!" Brother Zachariah answered.

"Who says? You don't own the bloody Institute!" Jace shouted. Clary satin the corner of the room shaking, short of breath.

"Mr Herondale, I just don't think it's the best idea to see Miss Fray. It could alter her mental stability!" Tessa shouted.

"My girlfriend is not mental! Have you got that? Because I swear if you don't you're not putting another hand on her!" Jace shouted as they got closer and Clary began to shake more.

"I never said she was I'm just saying it might not be the best idea for her health at the moment." Brother Zachariah answered.

"Oh yeah because she looks totally fine!" Jace almost screamed as the three of them stormed into the room Clary was being kept in.

"What's wrong Miss Fray?" Brother Zachariah asked.

"Wh-wh-what happ-happened?" Clary stuttered as she continued to shake.

"You fainted again, do you remember why?" Tessa asked as Jace walked over to Clary and carried her over to the bed as she continued to shake.

"He came out the elevator." Clary whispered to Jace as he knelt on the bed next to her.

"Who? Jonathan?" Jace asked.

"Yes." Clary nodded.

"It's him again." Jace quickly said to Brother Zachariah and Tessa.

"Look, we're going to go and read into it some more and we'll leave you two alone." Brother Zachariah answered and him and Tessa left the room.

"What am I going to do?" Clary asked as Jace and herself sank beneath the covers of the bed.

"I don't know but I'll promise you something that I promised you when we first met. I'm a Shadowhunter Clary and I'll protect you with my life no matter what that means." Jace answered as he wrapped his arms around her body, brought her against his chest and kissed the top of her head.

"What if I am going mental? What if something is going on in my head that no one can control?"

"Well, we'll work through it together and I'll never leave you. No matter what."

"I love you." Clary whispered.

"Te amo, mi animule." Jace answered. They quickly kissed and then they slowly started to drift off into a safe dreamland.

***

Gold gown. Whiteish-gold veil. Bare feet. A little girl stood in front of her with fiery red hair beaming at her. Clary knew who it was immediately.

"Val, where have you been?" Clary asked.

"In the kitchen." The little girl giggled as she wiped the icing off of her face.

"Have you been eating the cupcakes for the reception?"

"No, why would you say that?" Val giggled again.

"I told you she was a demon child. We should've drowned you in the river when you were a baby." The green eyed boy chuckled as he strolled out the big house in his black suit with gold runes at his collar and cuffs.

"You're so horrible." Val pouted.

"He is, isn't he? Should we uninvite him to my wedding?" Clary asked.

"I think we should." Val smiled cheekily.

"You'll have to catch me to get this back then." Jonathan smirked pulling his wedding invitation out of his blazer pocket.

"Let's get him." Clary smirked at Val and they started chasing him around the garden. Clary in her wedding dress, Val in her lace green dress and Jonathan in his suit.

***

Clary often returned to the dream she had had in Edom but it was always different as if she'd been watching a television show and the latest episode had previewed.

She woke up feeling refreshed and less worried. That's what the dream did. Or relaxed her, knowing that there was a way of seeing what her life could have been like if Jonathan's eyes were green.

"What's the time?" Jace asked as he stretched underneath Clary. She looked out of the window and into the pitch black.

"Either late at night or early morning." Clary answered.

"Did you dream of anything?" Jace asked.

"Yeah, I did actually." Clary smiled.

"What about?"

"What could have been if Jonathan's eyes were green." Clary answered and they lapsed into comfortable silence knowing that they were next to each other due to their steady breathing.