Party Of The Century Take One

"Are we going to Magnus' party tonight?" Clary asked in a hopeful voice.

"You mean the three day Magnus extravaganza that I've been requested to attend every single day?" Alec commented, his voice dripping with heavy sarcasm. If there was one thing that made Magnus and Alec's relationship an issue - apart from the fact that Alec was a Shadowhunter and Magnus was a Downworlder - because Alec couldn't stand parties whereas Magnus could party every day forever seeing as he was immortal and all.

"The one and only." Clary answered.

"I'll be attending." Alec confirmed and returned to searching through the piles of books he'd collected.

"Are you going Izzy?" Clary asked.

"Since being introduced to Magnus I don't think I've missed a party. I don't plan on missing this one. Are you going?" Izzy smiled.

"Obviously, Isaac Degray is going to be there." Clary answered and immediately regretted it. Jace's head popped up from the other side of the table. He'd pretended that he couldn't help Alec finding books to send onto Emma and Jules to study from by pretending a demon's venom had paralyzed him.

"Why does that matter?" Jace asked his brow furrowing.

"I haven't seen Isaac in a while, it'll be nice to catch up." Clary lied.

"You're up to something Morgenstern." Jace commented.

"No I'm not that's literally the reason why. Isaac's a good friend." Clary smiled.

"That's not what you said when he wanted to get rid of your fainting episodes." Jace mumbled.

"Okay, are you done with your domestic? Good because Clary and I have precisely three hours, 45 minutes and 30 seconds and counting to get ready so we'll be on our way." Izzy told the boys as she pulled Clary away from a book she was looking in for Emma.

"It doesn't take that long, surely." Clary commented.

"Trust me, when it comes to you it does." Izzy announced.

"Sometimes I wonder what our friendship is based on because it definitely isn't compliments." Clary explained as Izzy pushed her out of the library. She could here the boys chuckling, so much for moral support.

***

"No Izzy I haven't thought about a colour scheme." Clary answered for the third time as Izzy finished off doing Clary's eyeliner and talking about colour schemes for different seasons.

"Well that makes sense, maybe you should go dress shopping before you decide on your colour scheme - I mean what if you buy a completely gold dress when you go to Idris and you wouldn't want gold on gold. That'd be disastrous! Why don't we go dress shopping soon?" Izzy squealed in an excited manner. If Clary could roll her eyes without ruining her drying eyeliner she would do.

"Iz, I told you before that no one's seeing the dress before the wedding day. Anyway, I've already got a dress." Clary commented.

"Sorry I completely forgot but you got a dress? When?! I didn't even know you'd gone to Idris, when did you go?" Izzy asked.

"I didn't go to Idris, the dress was sent to me. It's exactly what I wanted - Magnus mentioned something about a warlock who's quite nifty with their fingers and offered to talk to her about making me a dress. She understood what I wanted, I met her a few weeks ago in a restaurant to discuss the dress." Clary lied.

"Oh okay, that sounds interesting. As long as you're happy with it." Izzy smiled at Clary through the mirror.

"I really am, it's stunning." Clary smiled to herself as she slipped on a pair of Izzy's shoes.

"Ready to go?" Alec asked popping his head around the door.

"In a rush to see your boyfriend Alec?" Izzy commented as she slipped past her older brother and into the corridor. Clary followed suit.

"Yes I am actually." Alec remarked and hurried on in front of the two girls.

"When you two get married I am so planning your wedding." Izzy told her older brother.

"We aren't getting married." Alec said in a thoroughly bored tone.

"What?!" Izzy shrieked. Clary who was still walking next to Izzy was now fairly certain that she had been deafened.

"It just isn't something we've discussed so it probably won't happen Iz. Plus, it's frowned upon for a Shadowhunter and a Downworlder to get married - you know that." Alec explained to his younger sister.

Izzy didn't answer her older brother but instead let out an annoyed sigh and stormed off leaving Alec and Clary stood in the hallway together.

"Have you thought anymore about your parabatai?" Alec asked Clary as he lead Clary to the library.

"Yeah I have but there's only really one person that I could trust as my parabatai and he's a) already got a parabatai and b) you're not allowed to be fall in love with your parabatai." Clary told Alec as she sat on the steps next to the portal.

"It's a hard choice to make, I mean you have to really trust your parabatai. I mean you have to trust them with your life but having a parabatai can strengthen you as a Shadowhunter." Alec replied joining her on the steps.

"Are you saying I strengthen you as a Shadowhunter?" Jace smirked as he strolled past the two of them and started to set up the portal.

"So sincere and modest is your fiancé." Alec chuckled and helped Clary stand.

"All ready to go?" Jace asked opening the portal door. Even though Clary had learnt how to use the portal properly she still got butterflies before she used it. "Izzy decided not to join us then?"

As if Izzy heard Jace talking about her the library door slammed open and Izzy stormed down to the portal. She didn't say a word to three of them but instead walked straight into the portal and disappeared.

"Such a kind soul is your sister." Jace chuckled and stepped through the portal.

Alec was next through smoothing out the invisibility creases in his shirt and running a hand through his hair. Clary found it quite cute the amount of effort Alec went through to look good for Magnus. However, Clary knew that when she stepped through the portal and to just outside Magnus' home Alec would be doing just the same as he was doing moments ago.

"Didn't Jace put in an appeal for Simon to become an Ascender months ago?" Alec asked just before he disappeared through the portal.

"P-pardon?" Clary stuttered, stumbling through the portal after Alec in order to find answers. Somehow she didn't manage to get lost due to her mind being all over the place. "Alec, what do you mean? About Simon becoming an Ascender? What even is an Ascender?"

"Look Clary, just forget about it for tonight. We'll talk about it tomorrow." Alec told her as he managed to free himself of her grasp to go and find Magnus.

Drinks were flowing, music was blaring, Downworlders were mixing with each other but Clary couldn't help but feel as if she was having an out of body experience with the new information that she possessed....