Chapter 1

All rights are reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without prior permission of the author.

Five Years Later...

Adira's POV:

"Do you think the office is your home, Miss Jackson?" I heard Mr. Knight's clipped tone.

"Sorry, sir, I don't understand." What did I do wrong this time? As far as I remember, I was just admiring the flowers sent by Logan, who was reminding me about tonight's dinner. I was about to leave the office when I received the flowers.

"I asked you to prepare an analysis report on Sawyer Inc., and here you are, sitting as.. as if you're at home, enjoying yourself," he said, glaring at me.

"But, sir, I..." I tried to explain, but he continued to glare at me, his gaze fixed on the flowers in my hand.

"And get rid of those flowers; they're annoying." I immediately hid the flowers under the table. Oh, I forgot that Mr. Knight hated flowers or anything girly, to be exact.

"I apologize, sir..." I attempted to explain before he interrupted me once again.

"Miss Jackson, you know the office rules. If you can't perform your job properly, then feel free to leave. I didn't receive the report on Alvani Group, nor the file from Emerson Industries," he said, taking a breath as if trying to control his anger.

"Tell me, Ms. Jackson, do you really value your job?" he asked, his tone filled with anger.

I stood up from my seat and said politely, "Sir, the analysis report on Sawyer Inc. that you asked for is on your table. I informed you about the file, but you instructed me to place it on your table before you left for lunch with Mr. Keller. As for the files from Alvani Group and Emerson Industries, they are also on your table."

Ares Simon Knight, President of Knight Group of Industries, glared at me with his emotionless light brown eyes.

Simon's POV:

I had just returned from lunch with my best friend, Maron, and was about to enter my office when I saw Adira sitting at her desk with flowers. Immediately, my temper flared, and I began questioning her. I should have checked my desk first. Damn! Who gave her those flowers? She was looking so beautifully happy while gazing at them. Ugh! I cleared my throat.

"Ahem, what about today's meeting notes? I want you to provide me with a report on today's discussed product ideas," I spoke in a milder tone this time.

"I have emailed you the meeting notes, sir, and I have also provided elaborations on the ideas and their potential impact on the market for your review," she answered professionally.

"Why did you send an email? You should know by now that I don't like staring at the screen for too long, Miss Jackson," I said, annoyed again. Those flowers were really irritating; couldn't she just throw them away?

"Sir, you asked me to send you the meeting notes and short reports about weekly activities via email, as you preferred reviewing them that way and found it tiring to go through printed files," she replied, smiling politely at me.

I looked at her, speechless. She was right; I had asked her to send me an email and not a printed file. What's wrong with me? How could I forget?

"What about my schedule for today?" I said in my usual voice, trying to hide the annoyance in my gut.

"You have a meeting with Mr. Brown at 3:30 pm and Ms. Jenner at 5:30 pm, and you will be having dinner with Ms. Jenner. I have booked a private table at the usual restaurant for you and Ms. Jenner," Adira said.