Chapter 51

Adira's POV:

"H-how?!" I asked, confused and shocked but happy at the same time.

He grinned at me, "it's all thanks to Ryan, he was keeping an eye on us from afar, so when he got to know about the divorce and reason behind it, he pulled some strings which resulted in rejection from court but he didn't show himself because he was not powerful enough back then. I was over the moon to get the papers back but Clara kept bugging me and threatened me to resubmit the papers, I did but it got rejected again and again for various reasons. This goes on for months until we manage to successfully rescue my dad from them." I was the happiest to know about this but my eyes welled up again recalling his struggles alone. He cupped my face.

"A-are you not happy?" He asked nervously, panic evident in his eyes. I shook my head, sniffling.

"No, silly! I'm happy but- but I wish I was with you in those hard times, I wish I was by your side so that you wouldn't have to face that battle alone." His expressions softened and he immediately wrapped his arms around me.

"No, love. I was more at ease to know that you were safe and sound. Please don't blame yourself." My tears fell on his bare chest as he continued placing kisses on my head. I looked up at him with a determined look in my eyes.

"Promise me, love, you will never hide anything from me, you will never face anything alone, you will share your problems and struggles with me and most importantly you will never push me away no matter what the reason is, promise me this." He averted his gaze from me and I knew at that moment that he would do it all over again regardless of how much it would hurt him, he would repeat it again just to keep me safe. Idiot!

I cupped his face and made him look at me, "Listen to me, Aiden, in marriage, we promised to face everything together, hand in hand. We share not only the joys but also the burdens because that's what it truly means to be husband and wife. You have protected me by keeping secrets and facing it all alone, and I genuinely appreciate it. However, my love, it's not just me who needs protection; it's you too. In this relationship, we are equal, and as husband and wife, we both have a duty to protect one another, it's not just your duty. You are my shield, and I am yours. I want you to know that I am right here for you. Don't face everything alone because together, we can overcome any battle." He gazed at me with a flood of emotions, his eyes filled with mist. I continued,

"I know it may be late to express all of this, but my love for you didn't begin with our marriage. It started long before that, at a time I can't even pinpoint. From the first time I met you in your garden, there was something about you that pulled me in. I wanted to take away your pain and make you happy. The feeling was so strong that it scared me, and that's why I kept my distance. But over time, I realized what it all meant. Aiden, I've been in love with you all along, even if I didn't realize it. That's why it hurt so much when I saw you with Clara, even though it was a misunderstanding. But you know what hurt the most? The time I spent without you. The moment I gave birth to Atlas without you by my side. Every time I saw Atlas looking at other families with longing, it reminded me of the pain and betrayal I thought I felt. The absence of your love was the most painful thing for me. So please, promise me you won't do this again, my love. I don't think I could handle that pain again." He was shocked to hear my confession but soon his tears were rolling down freely, just like mine. He gently pressed his forehead against mine.

"I'm sorry, baby, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that while trying to save you, how much I was hurting you. I promise you, I will never hide anything from you again. I promise you, love." He answered emotionally and I smiled through tears, immediately capturing his lips for sealing the promise with a sweet kiss.

Soon, just as I finished preparing dinner, James arrived with Atlas. I quickly opened the door for them, and Atlas ran into my arms.

"I missed you, Mommy," he snuggled into my neck and looked at his dad with a puzzled expression.