Chapter 52

Adira's POV:

We entered the top floor. This hospital was owned by the Aberra's and the whole floor was private and reserved only for family members. I noticed the security was too high, no one could enter this floor without a pass and except executive staff, no one was allowed here. Probably more than ten men were spread around the floor and three were standing outside the door of VIP ward. They bowed to Aiden and me and opened door for us.

Immediately, I noticed a frail man lying in the hospital bed. If I hadn't known he was his dad, I wouldn't have recognized him. His complexion was unnaturally pale, and numerous tubes were connected to his body as he lay there, appearing almost lifeless. It seemed as though he had stopped fighting for his life, surrendering himself to drown into the darkness.

What has happened to him? I remember him as a loving and kind man, who used to be so cheerful and lively. I  took a deep breath, trying to compose myself and blinked back the tears welling in my eyes.

"What have the doctors said?" Aiden wrapped one arm around me as he held Atlas in other.

"They say it's more likely emotional than physical, as if he has lost the will to fight and live, as if he doesn't want to wake up," he replied, trying his best to maintain composure and be strong for us. However, I could see that he was on the verge of breaking down, looking at his father in this heartbreaking state.

"Is he my grandpa?" Atlas, who was listening intently, asked quietly, staring at the man lying in the hospital bed. We told him we were going to meet his grandfather and great-grandfather and he was happy about it. I nodded at him. He asked Aiden to take him near as he sat on the bed beside Jake Aberra. Atlas stared at the man for a while before he spoke,

"Hi grandpa, I'm Atlas Alvertos Aberra. I'm four years old and I'm your grandson. My Dad is Aiden Alvertos and my Mom is Adira Alvertos. I always wanted to meet my father and his family. Now that I am here to see you, you're not talking to me. Please wake up soon, I want to play a lot with you. We can team up to beat dad in soccer because he is very good at it and he is boastful about it too," he rolled his eyes and continued talking softly, telling him about everything or anything he could. I couldn't stop my tears from flowing down this time. I noticed Aiden's eyes were teary too. I buried myself in his embrace as we stared at our son talking to his grandpa with great enthusiasm.

We sat there and talked to him as well, letting him know what's going on around us and all things happening here. When it was time to go, Atlas kissed his forehead softly and reminded him to wake up soon so he could play with him and that he is waiting.

I picked him up and he stared at me with bright eyes, "Everything will be okay, Mom, Dad." He kissed my cheek and extend his hand for his dad, asking for a hug. Aiden took us both in his protective embrace, kissing our heads.

************

I stared at the Alvertos Villa in front of me, a flood of memories washing over me. This place held so many memories of us. If it was in the past, I would have broken down here in tears and heartache but now I feel nothing except overwhelming happiness to return to the place where everything started. My heart was at peace, free from any lingering pain or regrets. Aiden entwined our hands together, I flashed him a wide smile and we walked inside.

As soon as I entered, I noticed grandpa Luis standing at the house gate, instructing something to the maid. He looked old and sad. Just as he looked at us, he froze, staring at me and Atlas with longing.

His eyes become teary as he opened his arms. My tears fell too as I let go of Aiden's hand and rushed into his opened arms.

"Oh, my child!" He wrapped me in a warm and gentle hug as I cried like a baby in his arms. I missed him too much. It felt like I was gathering my scattered pieces and bringing myself back together. I slowly let go of him and turned to Atlas who was waiting patiently and looking at us curiously.