Chapter 44

Aiden's POV:

Almost Six Years Ago..

In Russia:

I sat in the restaurant, waiting for my friend, Kal. We were working on the same project so he was also here, away from his family and wife. Suddenly, I spotted a familiar figure entering the restaurant. I raised an eyebrow... The one we have been searching all over the US was hiding here.

This time, I won't let this b***h go easily. She needs to pay for her sins and what she did to my best friend.

Oh! How much I wish, I could kill this woman right then and there, but I knew I couldn't just do that.. yet!

Since the first time I met this woman, I had a weird protective instinct towards Ryan. I don't know why, even though she acted so innocent, harmless and pitiful, there was something in her that made me extremely uncomfortable. There was something sinister about her eyes but I shrugged that weird feeling, thinking that I am getting paranoid, but..

That was my biggest mistake! Because, she was really a vile woman and I will not let her roam freely after what she did to my best friend, who was her brother, for heaven's sake!

How can people stoop so low for money?!

Immediately, I came up with a plan. I texted Kal to meet another time and discreetly threw the fork from my table, successfully getting the attention of a few people and her!

I didn't look towards her because I knew she would come to me.

I was right!

I looked from the corner of my eye to see her stalking towards me. I casually checked my phone, waiting for my order.

"Is it you, Aiden?" I heard her soft harmless voice which made me scoff inside, but I looked at her with a pleasant surprise expression.

"Clara?" I said and stood up, extending my hand towards her for a handshake but she suddenly hugged me and started sobbing.

I felt my stomach churn and I literally wanted to puke just now. My instinct was to push her away, because the first thing that came to mind was my wife's face, but I stiffened thinking about my plan.

I need to do this!

I need to do this for my best friend and brother!

I closed my eyes painfully, bringing my hand to put it on her back.

"I-I miss my brother so much, seeing you reminded me of him." She sniffled and I held my puke.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I forgot you don't like to be touched." She said, unwrapping her arms around me and wiped her tears. I secretly sighed in relief.

I put my hand on her shoulder and said, "it's okay! It's fate. Don't be sad. Ryan won't be happy seeing you like this and I can't see you cry too." I felt so dirty after saying that aloud.

I can tell she was surprised by my reaction. That's it! Be surprised and stay delusional.

"Really? You're not mad at me? Or doubt me? Like your friends?" She asked in a small voice.

No, b***h! I wanna bury you here right now..

I sighed and answered, "It's not your fault that he is not with us anymore and I don't blame you. I agree, I was angry at first but I knew you couldn't do something like this. He was your brother after all."

"I forgot my phone in his car when he dropped me at the airport that morning but if I just knew he would face an accident just that night, I would never have gone anywhere. I wish I was the one who died in his place." She started sobbing again.