Chapter 37

Adira's POV:

I stared at the ring on my finger blankly. I didn't feel anything at all, not even a little excitement. But, I already made up my mind.

I nodded at Ares and he smiled but I could see that it didn't reach his eyes.

He stood up and came to my side, pulling my hand to make me stand, he looked at me for a while before pulling me into his arms.

"Everything is going to be okay, I promise!" He stroked my hair and I let myself be in his soothing embrace.

After Ares left, I hardly got any work done because I was too distracted. I kept thinking about a lot of things.

"It's already 9 P.M. you are not going home?" I heard my secretary, Devon, said.

"Oh, it's that late already.." I replied and stood up, taking my bag.

"You seem distracted, is everything okay?" She asked worriedly.

"I don't know!" I shook my head.

"Wanna share?" She asked softly.

"Would you give someone a chance who cheated on you?" I asked.

"I wouldn't ever," came her strong reply. I smiled a little.

"What if you still love him?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Once a cheater, always a cheater. I wouldn't be with someone who I can't trust, it will just complicate my life and soon I will not be happy." She said seriously.

"You're strong!" I said as I looked down.

"You're strong too, Adira. It takes a lot to let go of someone you love and walk out of a relationship knowing that you still love him but still keeping your respect as priority." I looked into her eyes.

"You've been in love before!" It was a statement. She nodded her head as a flash of hurt passed through her eyes.

"Yes! But I fell for the wrong guy. He never loved me back. He was not worth it.." she stated bitterly.

"But you still love him," I said because I could see it in her eyes.

"I am a family girl, Adira. I want to have a family but a playboy like him would never give me that and I am not someone who goes for someone twice," she replied with finality.

"You're right! People who do wrong don't deserve a second chance. I got engaged!" I showed her my hand. She looked at me shocked.

"But, you-"

"It's not him! He was my ex-husband. I got engaged with Ares Simon Knight." I said with finality and with a little emphasis. Maybe, to convince myself.

"Wow! Congratulations, dear." She hugged me.

"Thank you!" I said softly.

"You don't love him?" She asked when she noticed my face.

"No.. not yet!"

She patted my shoulder, "You will be happy with him. He seemed to be a very nice man." I nodded as I smiled at her.

Maybe, it's true.

"Okay, then! Forget about everything and let's celebrate your engagement," she said as she dragged me out of the office building.

We entered a club with loud music. There were a lot of people but it wasn't packed because it was still early for clubs.

"Let's dance and get drunk today!" Devon yelled over the loud music.