Chapter 59

Aiden's POV:

I opened my eyes slowly and gazed at the white ceiling, gradually realizing that I was in the hospital. The memories of the events before came rushing back to me-I had been shot by Clara!

Adira? Atlas?

I quickly scanned the room, and relief flooded over me as I saw Adira sitting right beside my bed. She held my hand tightly with one hand and cradled Atlas on her lap with the other. They both appeared exhausted with swollen eyes, their faces etched with worry, even though their wounds had been treated.

I shifted slightly, trying to get a better look at them, but Adira's keen senses caught my movement. She immediately opened her tear-filled eyes and focused on me.

"Love!" she whispered, tears continuing to flow down her cheeks. Atlas, awakened by his mother's reaction, also looked at me.

"Dad!" he also cried out, tears streaming down his little face.

I mustered a smile despite the pain and said, "Hey, you two. Looks like we've stumbled upon the best family hangout spot. Who knew our first official family outing would be in a hospital room? Should we order room service and make the most of it?"

Adira let out a surprised laugh amidst of tears, a mixture of relief and amusement. Atlas, still sniffling, tried to stifle his sobs and managed a small giggle. I smiled widely, finally gazing at their relieved faces.

"Are you okay? Are you in pain? I should call the doctors to check on you," Adira asked worriedly, already pressing the call button before I could respond. I smiled and let it be.

"What happened back there?" I inquired.

"You were shot three times. The doctors said you were incredibly lucky that the bulletproof vest stopped the bullets, otherwise it could have been life-threatening. Your left arm and right leg were hit. How could you? How could you risk your life like that, Aiden?" Her tears, which had barely ceased, began streaming down her face again.

I gently squeezed her hand. "Love, I'm fine, and I'm grateful that you're okay. I could never forgive myself if anything happened to either of you." Her tears flowed more intensely.

"Come here, both of you." I extended my uninjured arm, inviting them into my embrace. Adira placed Atlas on the space beside me, and he immediately snuggled into my arms.

She stepped forward, and I wrapped my arm around both of them. "There, there! Now, no more tears from either of you. I only want to see your smiles from now on, and if there are tears, let them be happy ones." I gently patted their backs as they gradually calmed down.

They looked at me with love in their eyes, and Adira kissed my forehead. Following her lead, Atlas planted a gentle kiss on my cheek, careful not to aggravate my injuries. A contented smile spread across my face, having my wife and son by my side. I finally felt complete!

The dark clouds have finally cleared, and now there's no longer a threat to my family's lives. We can live happily from this moment forward.

Adira informed me that my mom had gone home to gather some necessities, as she was reluctant to leave my side. When she returned, she was also in tears, blaming herself for everything. We managed to calm her down and update her about Dad's condition. She was devastated to see him in that state, nearly hysterical. Fortunately, Atlas was able to comfort her during such a challenging moment.

My father's condition was improving. Since our first visit with Atlas, he and Grandpa Luis had been visiting daily to offer their support. The doctors informed us that Dad's body was responding well to the medication, leading to gradual improvement. With Mom's return, they were hopeful for further progress.