36. catching up

036

036

Whenever the members were in a meeting, it truly never concerned Devora when she heard some laughter coming from the room behind her.

They were all close friends so of course they were going to be talking and catching up with one another at some point during the conference.

Still, whenever they were in a meeting and having their short side conversations, only Devora was able to hear them from her seat.

On one side of her ear, she heard the same noises she invariably heard in the office — the diminutive chit-chat, the phone ringing for someone to answer it, and pages flipping.

She's grown quite a liking to that sound, it was soothing to her almost like ASMR — if there was such thing as office ASMR.

In an even more perfect world, there would be rainfall accompanied by these sounds. Rain pelting against the roof of Hoseok's building, the wind sweeping it against the windows of the office to create small taps.

Now, in her other ear, there were the conversations of the seven men in Hobi's room, the laughter and bubbly voices echoed through the four walls of the large room.

It was never too loud.

Except for that day.

Perhaps they were celebrating their success from the fashion show?

Well, that seemed like a reasonable possibility, although, why would there be shouting and howling?

Even a handful of heads were turning to look in the direction of where the commotion was coming from, rapid blinking — apologizing to the person they had on the phone for all the noise.

It was a good thing that everybody in that office bestowed special reverence for Hoseok and the rest of Bangtan.

Because of that, they glared at Devora for an explanation, giving her curt scowls as if she could do something about the noise.

'Everyone in this office is crazy if they think I'm gonna go tell those boys to quiet down.'

Devora looked down at her work, avoiding all the frowns she was receiving.

It was too bad Boseong was absent that day, he had a trip for accounting that he had to take care of.

She sighed, fiddling with the cords of the phone at her desk, in deliberate thought, striving to decide if she should give Hoseok a call.

Eventually — an answer to Devora's prayers — the boys dialed down, getting back down to business to complete the meeting that they initially went over for.

Which was great news, meetings with the members weren't the only meetings Hoseok had in stores for that day. He normally had other clients and businessmen that he needed to go through for the day.

The doors of his room were finally opened, releasing members that stepped out one by one, stopping by the door to chat with Hobi for one last time.

Devora beamed with praise, Jin being the first one to pass by her desk — his lavish silky lips offering her an impish curve as he waved goodbye.

'Oh?' She mused in confusion, perplexed by his odd smile.

Yoongi's was the same as always; a small line on his lips that pushed out small creases around his mouth, it was the most adorable thing Devora had ever seen.

His was the only smile that seemed normal to her.

The rest of the members just had a sly appearance on their faces, almost as if they knew secrets about her that not even Devora was aware of.

It was intimidating.

Especially the one coming from Jimin, he always had a grin carved on his lips but this just seemed so distinct.

His eyebrows raised at her as he passed by, licking his lower lip absent-mindedly, sticking on a cryptic gleam in his eyes that she couldn't seem to comprehend.

She felt the hair on her arms rise at the sight, bumps growing on the surface of her skin beneath her clothes as she fractured a smile, trying to mask the apprehension that boiled her blood.

The tight feeling in her chest loosened once she made eye contact with Jungkook, noticing that his smile was as bashful as ever.

His boba eyes conveyed the reason for her optimism, his rosebud cheeks representing the shade of cayenne pepper as he stepped up to her desk.

"Hey, how was the meeting?" She muttered, dazzled by his radiant teeth. "It seems like you guys had a lot of fun." Devora mentioned the carefree ambiance the boys seemed to bear on their shoulders.

"Well, we were able to do some catching up," Jungkook said. "Hey, I don't think I told you this yet, but you look really pretty... I mean you always do, but I think red goes well with you."

Devora couldn't help but giggle, unaware that both of them were leaning into each other as they spoke. "Thank you, you look handsome, too, Mr. Jeon."

He crimsoned at the proper way she used his name, a bashful chuckle escaping his lips.

"Okay you two, let's get going before everyone starts to wonder where you went off to." Hoseok teased Jungkook, patting his shoulder.

He cleared his throat, lifting himself off her desk. "Right, I'll see you next time hyung." Nodding, looking back at Devora waving to her, then leaving.

"Oh, Hoseok before I forget," She stopped him. "Um, I don't know if this is a good time to be bringing this up but, when I went to go buy coffee, your card declined." Devora got his credit card out of her purse.

"I didn't wanna make a big deal about it, so I just thought it'd be better to tell you after everyone had left." She handed him the card.

He nibbled on his lower lip, staring at the card near intense observation.

His eyebrows furrowed as millions of speculations ran through his mind.

Devora didn't take that as a good sign.

All the times she was telling herself that he probably forgot to deposit were proven wrong the more she scrutinized his mystified expression.

He looked up at her. "Thanks, I'll make sure to uh deposit the money." He got his wallet out. "As a matter of fact, why don't you just carry around this one." Handing her another card from the various slots in his wallet.

"Oh, okay, thanks." Grabbing the card from him, perplexed that he walked back into his office without another word.

That was so strange, she had never witnessed Hobi so on edge before.

It was as if he was walking on eggshells, trying to be ever so delicate as to not crack them beneath his shoes.

His smile was missing, eloquence blank, holding practically no trace of sunshine that he frequently carried.

It sent chills down her spine. That same raw taste of peril sank in her gut once as before. If he reacted like that to a declined card, the chances of it being a mistake seem so improbable and low.

What could that mean for him?

˚。⋆ ୨୧⋆。˚