43. untold memories

043

043

Her thumbs stroked against the decorated cardboard box, holding it in her lap. Pensively recollecting all the items that could be anticipating her presence once she removed the top.

Devora already knew what would be on the other side, she was simply questioning whether or not she would be able to handle it.

'She passed away four years ago. I should be able to look at these without...'

She sighed through her nose, looking up at the vacant ceiling in her living room.

Devora had gone over to her mother's house after work that Wednesday, to spend some time with her parents and younger brother.

Although she felt like her hectic profession engrossed her and basically took over her social life, she still forced some time to see them.

Making time for family was essential to her.

When she got to her mother's house, Sakina handed her a small box that was stored away in Devora's old room — which was now her mother's office — above the shelf in the closet.

She couldn't remember if she left it at her mom's because she didn't want it anymore, or because the memories contained in the box were too grievous to handle.

Perhaps both.

Her fingers clasped against the top of the box, taking a deep breath in — hoping it would constrict her rushing thoughts — before removing the cover.

It was one of those little Sony cameras, including a smaller white box packed with a collection of memory cards.

Devora murmured, disheveling the items around, finding a couple of polaroids and a matching set of rings.

She grabbed the camera, finding that it was fully charged, being that it was shut off for a couple of years.

Devora was greeted by the camera with a cadenced chime, a pitch that sparked up dissipated nostalgia. Something she completely forgot about.

She popped in one of the random cards, the gallery began to fill itself with three videos, and a couple of random pictures.

Her heart plummeted down to her gut, hands shaking as she clicked on one of the videos.

It was her cousin, Adele.

She was recording herself, plopping onto her small twin bed while conversing with the camera in her hands.

Devora felt her lips pull at the edges, her heart swelled with clemency and solace to see her once more.

Even if it was just an old video of her.

Adele's hair was dyed an evanescent acorn brown, her genetic ebony hair making way for an awaited comeback. Her thin bangs sat perfectly still on her forehead, hair curled into relaxed beach waves that fit her flawlessly.