37. over the phone

037

037

The rest of her week at work was almost the same as every other.

Almost the same as every other.

Hoseok proceeded to monopolize all his work, running back and forth with meetings in his office, suffocating in paperwork and documents that anticipated his signature.

This was never a major concern for Devora, Hoseok would start off his week with masses of forms he had to get through.

Yet, it was already Thursday, and the pile seemed to only build: thriving off his seemingly haggard behavior, obstinate work idling unfinished on his desk.

The sight of him being so tentative was muddling, he was walking like a cat that was frightened of its own umbra. As if he was unnerved in his own building and office.

Devora attempted to include herself in his work, offering him an extra hand, telling him that two heads were better than one, anything that would help him and pull him out of his irrational behavior.

But, each time she did, he would deprecate her offer and claim he was okay, not needing her assistance.

She had only known him for a little over six months, but she knew that's not how Hoseok commonly functioned when he was at work.

He was always welcoming to the idea of extra hands, asking Devora to assist him whenever he wanted it.

That's what she was there for.

Now, it seemed like he was trying to persuade himself that he didn't need any help.

He would end up having to stay overtime to complete his work. Or at least stay late in order to leave a reasonable amount of documents to get done the next day.

"That is a little weird." Jungkook opined over the phone, just as perplexed as Devora was.

She opened a new wrapper of prepackaged chocolate-chip cookies, stress-eating. "See, I can't help but worry about it, he never acts that way." Devora took a bite of the cookie, chewing furiously.

"Anf now you're telling mef that it's weifd too." Her speech was drowned out by her eating.

Jungkook chuckled at her voice. "Well, maybe he has family problems? I don't think you should be stressing over it, it won't do you any good."

Devora opened the fridge, groaning profoundly. "It's too late, I'm already stress-eating." She told him, searching for more food she could binge on.

Stress-eating was an issue she had bartered with from when she was a child, whenever her parents would quarrel, or if she was going through personal problems with the way her body looked. All she could ever do was drown her misfortunes in bags of chips, and sweets.

Because of that, dropping weight was something so difficult to accomplish.

Even now she was reaching for her body goal.