Chapter 5: I need to make some money

From the start of school in September to the month before the National Day holiday, Jiang Xiao was hard at work.

He seized all the time he could to study. So far he'd covered the main points of the first and second years for the main subjects: Chinese, math, and foreign languages. The other classes were a little rough, but he had a grasp on the essentials, so he moved on to review the final comprehensive exam of year two. The basic questions weren't a problem, and his results were in line with his study plan.

At that time, Houlin No. 3 Middle School didn't have make-up classes. The November holiday was a full seven days. A week before the holiday, Jiang Xiao had already planned out how to spend his time.

He wanted to make some money.

Jiang Xiao was in the kitchen that night making chicken stew when he heard his mother suppress a cough in the living room.

Jiang Xiao knew Xia WanWan had been in poor health since she was a child. His grandpa's family lived in the countryside the next county over, and their family was poor. All the good things went to her brothers first. She was able to go to a junior college to study accounting because of her hard work. Later she met Jiang Xiao's father, and he managed to take better care of her, but now things weren't as good. His mother's family was far away, and they thought a married daughter was like spilled water. No matter how well Xia WanWan was doing, they didn't care. Jiang Xiao wasn't very familiar with his cousins, so they couldn't help at all.

Her death back then was partly due to overwork and partly caused by illness and heart disease, worsened by her husband's death and Jiang Xiao's rebellious ways. Recently Jiang Xiao had been well-behaved, which relieved a lot of stress. Seeing that her looks had improved, her heart disease should have gotten better. Now that she had more time to concentrate on her health, her sickness shouldn't be as serious as it was in her previous life, but the root of her illness still existed. She had to take good care of it, which meant frequently going to the doctor.

After Jiang Xiao came back he took her to the hospital several times, seeing both Western and traditional Chinese doctors. They prescribed a lot of medicine. But Xia WanWan was reluctant to spend more money. She always said she was fine, telling him to study hard and not to worry.

Although the family still had income, the small company she worked for didn't have much business and the pay wasn't high. His late father had a good income, but they didn't have much savings left. After all, their savings weren't infinite, and his father's pension was scammed by his paternal cousin's family. Although they still had some savings, Xia WanWan couldn't bear to spend more on her health. If Jiang Xiao wanted to go to university, it would cost more money. As the saying goes, a teenaged boy could eat a person out of house and home. With a son that age, there were too many things that needed money.

It wasn't that she didn't want to see a doctor or get better. Jiang Xiao knew Xia WanWan had a gentle personality, but when it came to this, she was stubborn. To sum it up in one sentence—there wasn't enough money at home.

But Jiang Xiao was, after all, reborn. Although the factory closed down before his rebirth, his previous savings and the income from the land sale would have supported him into old age. He was considered a successful and affluent man. He was now younger, with limited resources, and his primary focus was studying, but if he found the right opportunity he wanted to go out and make some money.

After Ye YingYing made a few deals with some girls in the next class, Jiang Xiao tagged along to ask those girls a few questions.

The girls knew Jiang Xiao. After all, Jiang Xiao was tall and good looking, and when he smiled he showed his little tiger teeth. He was a figure that a lot of girls in school would secretly talk about. They even thought his sudden drop in grades made him cool.