Chapter 6: Little Jiang Xiao, the veteran haggler

In his last life, Jiang Xiao went to work in Liujiang about three years from now. He started out as an assembly line worker in a factory for more than half a year. He was too young to shut his mouth and didn't have any patience, so after six months he'd worked in two or three factories. Whenever he had time he'd go out for a stroll, so he was familiar with all the places around the industrial park. He met all kinds of people and saw small businesses in detail. Later on, Jiang Xiao had a good life overall. He met several impressive people, some of whom gave him a helping hand. When he grew up and entered his twenties, he began to do business on his own.

It wasn't only Liujiang City. Jiang Xiao had visited all kinds of industrial parks. He'd met a lot of factory owners just like himself, people who crawled up from the bottom, had a lot of experience, and knew a lot of different things.

Ye Bing gave him a doubtful look and asked, "Your mother doesn't know about this, does she?"

"I'll tell her after I earn money," Jiang Xiao said. "Uncle Ye, I know you've been good to our family, but you can't help us all the time. I'm the only person my mother can rely on. Just let me try, okay?"

At first Ye Bing didn't agree. He even lost his temper, but Jiang Xiao repeatedly ground down his objections, and the older man finally gave in.

"You're good at talking, anyway. I really think you might be good at this business," he said.

If Uncle Ye was willing to help, things would go much easier.

When Jiang Xiao explained things to Xia WanWan, he told her he was going to the countryside with Ye YingYing to have fun. In recent months he was well-behaved, so Xia WanWan didn't worry as much about him. Ye YingYing also confirmed Jiang Xiao's story, so she felt at ease. She just said to be careful and mind his safety and handed Jiang Xiao some money.

The truck departed at three in the morning. Ye Bing looked at Jiang Xiao, who had a duffel bag and a school bag on his back. He didn't know when, but this fifteen-year-old boy had suddenly grown up. Now he looked determined and resolute. His eyes were firm and steady and seemed to glow.

Such a small child, but at this age he was already forced to stand on his own two feet.

Ye Bing glanced at his schoolbag and asked, "Did you bring your books along to read them? A few days ago your mother told me you've been studying a lot this month."

"No," Jiang Xiao said honestly, "I just brought my school bag to carry things."

He didn't have a lot of luggage. The school bag and the duffel bag were durable and light. Jiang Xiao brought clothes and simple toiletries, and he didn't bring anything else.

Making money was making money, and studying was studying. Jiang Xiao divided them very clearly in his mind. He wasn't going to be away for very long. He would only stay three or four days of the seven-day holiday. Uncle Ye could pick him up on his second run to Liujiang. There was other time during the holiday when Jiang Xiao could do exercises and read books.

You have to concentrate whenever you do anything, and Jiang Xiao wasn't good at doing more than one thing at a time. He'd always been self-aware and knew he wasn't a genius. And the passenger side of the truck wasn't a comfortable place to sit. At times the ride was bumpy, and it wasn't quiet enough to read. It was better to get some rest with his eyes closed. After the day began he wouldn't have any time to rest. If he tried to make money and read books at the same time, he'd end up doing neither well.

After listening to this explanation, Ye Bing started the truck and smiled. "Well, it depends on you. How much did you take with you?"

If he included the money Xia WanWan just gave him, he had eight hundred yuan.