Prologue: the late summer night 1965

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives."

- William Wallace

That night was stuffy

The temperature was way beyond the average for that time of the year and the 7-eleven convenience store felt as if it was on fire with broken AC and all the adrenaline and fear that ran through the veins of the people held on the gunpoint by a drunk robber.

"I said, SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" the robber yelled in the face of a barely one-year-old toddler, wailing in the arms of his shaking mother.

"P-please, have mercy...it's only a small baby, he doesn't understand. Please, please," the mother of the toddler was sobbing in despair, "let us go..."

"No!" the crazy grin appeared on the robber's drunk-red face, "no one will go until I get all the money I need." He turned to the cashier who was with trembling hands putting all the money inside a blue plastic bag. "Do it faster you fucker or I kill you, I kill you, I kill everyone, I swear!" He yelled again, his tired redded eyes hectically scanning the whole store.

The mother was still shaking and sobbing trying everything she could to get her small son to stop wailing but nothing had worked. Her son knew. Children just know when something is wrong, even if they are small, tiny people who didn't get the taste of the real world yet, somehow children know.

"I'm sorry," she heard a soft whisper next to her. There stood a young man, maybe a little bit younger than her, with chocolate brown hair and the same coloured eyes, in his hand was a tiny teddy bear, he had found somewhere in the back of the store, in the small toys section. "Try to give him this, maybe it will calm him down a little."

The woman shyly nodded and with a trembling hand, she took the teddy bear, showing it to her son.

"1000 baht? That's it? You think I'm stupid?" The robber yelled as he saw the pathetic amount of money in the too big of a blue plastic bag. His face was stern and tensed in anger his hands too shaky—one would wonder how was he still holding that gun in his hand.

The old cashier held his wrinkled hands up, shaking his head, "I'm sorry, sir...tha-that's all we got for today. I swear."

The baby was calming down little by little as his mother was shaking the teddy bear in front of him, but when the loud threatening voice of the robber cut through the air again, the baby screamed and wailed even more than before. "No no no, shhh, mommy is here, please be quiet, please." The mother was desperately whispering to her baby.

The young man who gave her the teddy bear was still standing next to her, frowning, worried that the robber would snap any second and kill them all.

The head of the drunk robber was pounding with disgusting pain, increased by that stupid screeching child.

He turned towards that awful sound, "I said shut the fuck up!" he shouted as the gun went off and even the louder sound than the child's cry echoed through that stuffy night.

To be continued...