Part forty-two: the better part

"Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place."

- Zora Neale Hurston

"Here we are. It's that cabin over there, see?" Earth said, stopping behind trees so sheriff Anderson won't see Mix floating around.

"It's pretty, but our cabin is better," Mix said, jumping down from Earth's comfortable back.

Earth smiled, "of course it is. It has me."

"Can't argue with that," Mix said, tieing his scarf a little bit tighter around his neck. Earth was right it was windy and cold — the beauty of Winter.

"Okay, so the plan is: we'll go there. You'll pretend you are alone and if she asks how you know about this, you say..." Earth looked at Mix, waiting.

"It was written in my grandma's old diaries," Mix automatically replied.

"Good boy," Earth winked.

Mix grinned, stepping forward, "let's go then."

The cabin of sheriff Anderson was similar to the Ghost Cabin, yet Mix could see the differences already from afar. This cabin was newer; the wood didn't look like it had gone through so many seasons as Mix's cabin did, nor did it has that enrolling atmosphere that would pull you in.

Most of the space in front of the cabin was covered with Christmas trees of any type. Tall, short, wide, narrow, thick as well as sparse. Even their colour was representing the whole pallet of green. But above all, they all looked like a perfect Christmas tree. Mix wondered how was he going to pick one. Maybe sheriff Anderson could help.

Mix looked at Earth walking next to him, receiving one small smile in return. Mix smiled back and walked toward sheriff Anderson, "good morning, sheriff Anderson."

Sheriff's head turned away from one of the Christmas trees she was making sure was holding up properly and a welcoming smile appeared on her face, "Mix. What a pleasant surprise. You are here to pick a tree?"

"Yes, I'd love that." Mix leaned closer and lowered his voice, "but they are all so pretty, I don't think I can choose."

Sheriff Anderson quietly laughed, putting a hand on Mix's shoulder, "that's what I am here for. Tell me, Mix. Do you have a certain image in your mind of how should the tree look?"

"Hmmm, I would prefer a tall and thick tree with preferably darker green shade."

Sheriff Anderson nodded, her hand still on Mix, she pulled him to the farther back, "here are the trees like the one you mentioned. Take your time," she said but didn't move from Mix.

Mix's eyes were gliding from one tree to another taking a mental note of the ones that would pass until the final picking round. Another tree; Mix liked that one. It was probably the closest to the one he had imagined and then...