Part fifty: the earthquake

"Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it."

- William Tecumseh Sherman 

The day Mix left, Earth got back to doing what he was doing back then when he was alone after Praewa died — doing nothing just staring at the wall

He had nothing to do anyway. Well, until the fire in the fireplace that was keeping the cabin warm, ran out and a few hours later Earth actually started feeling chills creeping in. He smiled, it was so nice to feel again when it was cold or warm around him.

He looked outside the window where the snow was getting heavier by each hour and the wind was bending the tips of the trees ruthlessly. Earth frowned, last time he saw weather similar to this one was years ago, shortly after he moved there with Praewa. He just hoped it wouldn't get more vicious.

Earth got up from the sofa and skipped stairs up to the Mix's room. He put on one of Mix's winter jackets, smiling when Mix's peachy scent spread all over him. Getting dressed up when he was about to go outside felt natural but so strange at the same time. Earth hadn't done it in years. He didn't have to. Technically he still didn't need to but that didn't mean Earth didn't want to be warm.

Actually stepping outside was a bigger challenge than Earth had expected. Somehow by the short time Earth got dressed the weather got even wilder. Snow was punching everything around with its soft snowflakes which weren't that soft when they were hitting Earth right in the face at the speed of light.

Earth almost missed the days when snow would just fly through him like that snowman that Mix so clumsily built. It hadn't been that long; a few days maybe two weeks since Earth could touch basically everything and since then he went around many times to just randomly made snowballs or even a snow castle if he felt like he had enough patience for it.

So wasn't like he would love to have the snow fly through him again but he was also highly uncomfortable with all that snow hitting his face, shrouding his view of where he was trying to get to. Earth didn't need much just an armful of wood to light up the fire again.

The chopped wood was neatly put on the right side of the cabin creating its second wooden wall. Boring himself through the snow, Earth had realized how much snow actually fell only since Mix left with sheriff LeBlanc. That much snow could already last for the rest of the winter. However, it seemed that mother Nature felt extremely generous, giving out snow like it was nothing.

After what felt like forever, Earth finally got to the right side of the cabin and picked up as many pieces of wood as was possible. A few minutes ago, when Earth was somewhere in the middle of his way to the wood he realized that he didn't take the basket for the wood with him. But now, taking the wood in his arms, he was actually thankful for it. Trying to bore back through that snow to the cabin with a big basket full of wood would be too hard.

On his way back Earth made sure to go in his own steps so it would be easy to walk. Which with arms full of wood was exactly what he needed.

Inside, Earth lit up the fire again and sit down on the carpet right in front of the fireplace. He took one of the books Mix gave him for Christmas; The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wild, deciding to pass the time without Mix, by reading.

However, no matter how well written the pages right in front of him were — and trust him, they were very well written — he couldn't focus. He kept thinking about Mix. What was he doing? Was he still on the plane or already home? Was he being tightly hugged by his family? Was Mix telling them about Earth? Or did they ask about Earth first? Or was Mix avoiding this topic for some reason? Was he happy to be home again? Did he think about Earth, did Mix miss him as much as he missed Mix? Earth's fingers unconsciously touched Mix's necklace, hanging safely around his neck.

Earth hoped that Mix would do as he had promised and enjoy the wedding of his sister to the fullest. Earth was sure Mix was going to look beautiful. Mix always did, but in a suit — Earth could only try to imagine how eternally handsome would Mix looked. It was a breathtaking image. Earth hoped to see it once with his own eyes...maybe at their own wedding.

Or maybe Mix with his smart creative mind would think about Earth at the wedding and will realize that Earth would like to see some photos from the wedding. So he will take some shots to show them to Earth when he comes back. Basically, Earth just wanted to see his gorgeous boyfriend in a suit... which was understandable.

Earth's pleasant string of thoughts was suddenly cut when he heard a loud groan and bang on the front door. He quickly stood up, approaching the door and listening for what else he could hear. It struck him odd that he hadn't sensed anyone around sooner as he used to apparently until recently. Another of his ghostly ability was gone which was a good sign but at that moment Earth thought that it would be useful.

"Here, you idiot! This one is empty. That weird kid isn't here!" The growly voice screamed from the outside as Earth heard another bang on the door. Someone was trying to get in.

Earth looked outside the window, catching in the corner of his eye a brown-haired man, probably in his forties, with what looked like a dead squirrel in his hand.

"Fucking poachers," Earth sighed. There is no way Earth was letting those men step even a foot inside the cabin. How do they even know that Mix was living there and that he wasn't there at the moment?

"You sure? That kid is so weird. He always acts like someone is here with him. Psycho."

"Yeah, I saw him leaving last night. Come here help me with this shit," the growling voice spoke again.

Have they been watching the cabin for a while? How did Earth didn't registered them all this time? His mind was swirling with thoughts. What should he do? How could he stop them? He must come up with something. There was no way Earth would allow them to touch anything that belonged to Mix.

"You hundred per cent sure, man? Look at that smoke from the chimney."

"For the last fucking time, don't pay attention to stupid shit and help me! Or do you wanna freeze to death in this fucking storm?"

The doorknob on the front door dangerously moved. They were almost in.

Earth was watching the shaking doorknob, walking back and forth. What could he do? What could he possibly do? What — there was one thing. Now, when he thought about it, he could try to scare them away. There was this thing that ghosts could do. It was something like telekinesis when they could move things just by their own will without actually touching them.

However, Earth never tried it. He never had to. But it seemed like the only option, now. It was just that Earth didn't know how much energy would that suck out of him. If a lot, he was running a risk of endangering his regeneration which was already weakened by Mix not being beside him.

The doorknob moved again — more easily this time. Earth didn't have time to think about it anymore. He closed his eyes and tried to focus all his energy, every single of his thoughts on one thing: the earthquake.

He needed to shake a whole cabin, the door, the windows, the stairs outside the cabin, the porch, that doorknob the man outside was holding, the ground under their feet, everything...

To be continued...

P.S. Will Earth be able to do it? And if yes...will it have consequences? 👀