Part forty-three: illusion

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

- Albert Einstein

The naked Christmas tree stood next to the window on the first floor of the Ghost Cabin

The naked Christmas tree stood next to the window on the first floor of the Ghost Cabin. A blizzard was in its seventh hour — starting somewhere in the middle of the night, bringing with itself a brand new dose of snow. The fire, crackling in the fireplace was a nice finishing touch to an already cozy atmosphere of the day before Christmas Eve.

Mix with his hands on his waist was eyeing the tree from every side. Earth was sitting on the floor tangled up in Christmas lights trying his very best to untangle them.

"So, do we have everything we need?" Mix asked.

"Um, it should be all."

Mix looked down at Earth, "how are you doing down there? Having fun?"

"Definitely more fun than with you," Earth grinned.

Mix nodded slowly, "oh really? Then you won't mind untangling these too, right?" He put in Earth's lap other lights that would go on the walls.

Earth's shoulders fell, "of course, no problem."

There was a gentle smile on Mix's lips as he internally awwed at Earth's adorable expression. Yes, Earth was older than Mix by four years (according to Earth's own words), but there were many occasions when Earth looked so adorable that Mix could barely hold himself from melting. 

"I'm kidding," Mix took the lights back, spreading them in his hands, showing them to Earth, "I already untangled them."

"Thank God," Earth cheered up.

Mix stretched his hand with an open palm in front of Earth, "come on, give those lights to me. I'll untangle them while you open the boxes with decorations."

"I tried, okay?" Earth pouted, standing up.

"I know you did, babe," Mix pouted too and gave Earth a hug.

Earth's hands wrapped around Mix, pulling him even closer, kissing his neck. "I have never asked — the necklace..."

A thin silver chain with a round pendant and S engraved in it was complimenting Mix's milky soft skin, hanging from his neck. His hand subconsciously rose up, touching the pendant, his finger gently going over the S. "I got this when I was born. My sister chose it. I've been wearing it all the time since I got old enough to actually be wearing something around my neck."

"It's beautiful," Earth said, running his fingers over the necklace, taking Mix's hand in his own.

"Thank you. Tell that to my sister once you meet her," Mix smiled.

"Oh, I sure will do that. Gotta collect those good points," Earth nodded with a serious face.

Mix giggled, "good luck with that. You have my unconditional support. But now let's focus on the tree. It looks sad like this without any decoration."

"Our first Christmas tree," Earth smiled.

.....

The time went by. The snow was getting heavier and heavier. Every passing minute the tree was wearing more decoration in many different colours and shapes. The Christmas lights were precisely wrapped around it — Earth's job and Mix was now trying his best to reach up and put a big glittering star on the top of their masterfully decorated Christmas tree.

Earth, with his hands folded on his chest, was watching Mix struggling. Earth couldn't help himself, the corners of his lips curved into a smile. There was this genuine fondness spreading through Earth every time he watched Mix doing just about anything. It was a kind of feeling Earth couldn't explain within words even if he wanted to.

Earth took in the adorable sight of Mix staying on his tippy toes, for the last few seconds before he wrapped his arms around Mix's waist, holding him up.

Mix let out a shocked gasp, putting his free hand on Earth's shoulder, "what — are you doing?"

"Helping you put the star on," Earth said, smiling up at Mix.

Mix looked at Earth with narrowed eyes, squeezing Earth's shoulder.

Earth chuckled, "what are you looking at, hmm? Put the star on."

"Alright, but hold tight."

"I always do," Earth mumbled.

Mix held on Earth, trying to manoeuvre himself closer to the tree without losing balance. When he was close enough to the top, he stretched his hand, carefully putting the star on. He could feel a slight prickling of the tree and smell its rich spice scent. After making sure that the star was safely in its place, Mix patted Earth's shoulder, letting go of the star and letting the star shine brightly.

Earth put Mix down and went on to turn on the Christmas lights. The lights illuminated not only the tree but the whole cabin. Their warm golden colour complemented the tree and the whole interior in the most perfect way.

The other lights that were supposed to go on the walls were already on, flickering in the corners. It was all overwhelmingly idyllic. The comfort of home was oozing from everywhere Mix looked, his heart, felt so full, making him almost worried. All of it was too perfect to last. And in a way it won't; he had to leave in two days after all.

Mix walked to Earth, wrapping him in yet another hug. He just felt like he needed to hold Earth while he still could — crazy feeling because where would Earth go, right? Mix bored his head in the crook of Earth's neck, inhaling the most intoxicating sandalwood scent. The closer Earth was to being human again the more prominent his scent was, and Mix loved it.

Getting surrounded by Earth's scent every time they were close was above all reassuring. It reassured Mix that Earth was really there. That everything they had was not only an illusion that Mix created for himself because he felt excruciatingly lonely in the cabin — so his mind without his own knowing created Earth and everything else with him.

Sometimes Earth seemed unreal, and those were times when Mix needed Earth to just hold him tight. It was so crazy how Mix felt like drowning just by thinking how it would be if he didn't have Earth by his side anymore. If Earth wasn't there to hold him like he was doing right at that moment. And humming a sweet melody like he was doing at that moment. And running his palm up and down Mix's back like he was doing at that moment.

Mix tilted his head, looking up at Earth, "I love you."

Earth's big smile illuminated his face as he pressed a kiss on Mix's forehead, "there's nothing I love more than you."

To be continued...

P.S. Earth needs to come up with some idea for a Christmas present for Mix... SOON 👀