Part twenty-one: watching you sleep

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have a potential to turn the life around."

- Leo Buscaglia

"Thank you once again, Mix

"Thank you once again, Mix. If it wasn't for you, we would probably try to get her out of that bear trap and then take her to the vet hospital. And that wouldn't probably end up good." Sheriff LeBlanc said as they get into the car and headed back.

It was early in the morning; the car monitor was showing 4:35. A fresh October breeze was humming quietly outside the fastly moving police vehicle.

It was pleasantly warm inside, making Mix relax into the seat, his eyes heavy. Mix couldn't wait to cuddle up in bed, Earth next to him. They will have some small talk before Mix falls into the dream world. He will sleep the whole day, throwing his sleeping schedule just a tad bit off balance.

But as much as Mix would love to close his eyes right now and don't care about the world for the following hours, this thing bugs him too much to let it go.

"I'm glad I could help, sheriff, really." Mix frowned, "but, I have one question."

Sheriff nodded, showing Mix a grateful smile, "sure, go on."

"About the bear traps...why is there so many of them in that area? Or more like, why is there any at all?"

"Poachers. We have been having trouble with them for years. Every week we do a search and put all bear traps away and every week those fuckers put the new ones there," Sheriff LeBlanc was holding the steering wheel significantly tighter than was necessary, his jaw clenched, he sighed, "I'm sorry for the language. I'm just..."

"No, it's no problem. It must be frustrating, trying to catch them for years with no results." Mix said, his heart clenching; he despised poachers — hurting innocent animals for their own pleasure — disgusting. "So those people...they put a new set of bear traps all over the area every single week? That seems excessive."

"It is. You are not the only one who thinks that. But they seem to like our forest. But I swear to you Mix, I won't retire until I catch them. You have my word."

Mix chuckled, "I'm sure you will catch them, you are a good sheriff."

"Thank you, Mix, thank you. And now tell me," sheriff lowered his voice in a conspiratory way and threw at Mix one quick look, "did you already meet the ghost of the Ghost Cabin?"

Mix shifted in his seat, gulping before looking at the sheriff, "Is there supposed to be a real ghost? Have you seen someone there?"

"Well, no, but I really don't think that your grandmother was talking to herself all those years."

Mix smiled, "well, I haven't seen any ghost yet, but if I will, I will definitely tell you." He needed to ask Earth if he would be comfortable with sheriff LeBlanc knowing about the whole thing. Only then Mix would say something.