Part forty: experiment called love

"Love has reasons which reason cannot understand."

- Blaise Pascal

It's in three weeks

It's in three weeks.

Earth nodded, a small frown appeared on his face, "I mean, that's alright. We've talked about it already. You'll go and I wait for you here."

"But that was before what happened today," Mix protested.

"What happened today?"

"Oh come on!" Mix sighed.

"Okay, okay. Sorry, angel. But, look," Earth said and held his hand in the air so that Mix could see it properly in the firelight. "I'm not see-through anymore, am I?"

Mix reached for Earth's hand, fingers lightly dancing on Earth's still ghostly pale skin. "No, you are not."

"See? And it took less than ten minutes. You don't need to be worried. I'll be fine for a few days. Worst case scenario: once you come back I'll be slightly more see-through than I was today."

"I don't like that," Mix mumbled, intertwining their hands.

Earth laughed, "I honestly think that after our little experiment just now, we will be able to solve it pretty quickly."

"Experiment?"

"Love is an experiment, my dear Mix. You never know at the beginning what you'll get at the end."

Mix smiled, "I like that. Love is an experiment. Kinda want it as a tattoo."

Earth chuckled, "just don't get one on the ribs. It hurts like hell."

Mix looked at Earth as if he heard wrong, "you have a tattoo?"

Earth smirked, "I have tattoos. Thank you for asking."

"You do?" Why was Mix so surprised, that was the question that he himself didn't know the answer to. But like... Earth had tattoos! Mix was allowed to freak out a little.

"Do I not look like someone who can have tattoos?"

"Where? I wanna see..." Mix's hands were already opening up Earth's shirt.

Earth put his hands on Mix's, stopping him. "What's with you today? Trying to get us both naked, hmm?"

Mix stared at Earth, then at his half unbuttoned shirt and back at Earth, "ehmm, I don't. I just want to see your tattoos."

"You'll see them someday. Curiosity kills the cat, you know?"

"I can't believe you are going to make me wait," Mix pouted.

"We can't have everything we want right when we want it, can we?" Earth winked.

"Ugh, fine. Back to my sister's wedding. The wedding is on the 27th and I told her that I'll be there only for a day or two. That means I need to leave on the 26th in the morning and hopefully, I should be back around 29th afternoon, maybe night."

"Alright," Earth nodded, "is she okay with that?"

"Yeah. She...Did you know that she knows about you?"

"She does?" That surprised Earth. And more than that; it made him nervous. Mix's sister was obviously a big part of his life. If she for some reason wouldn't like Earth...Earth didn't want to think about what could happen. And plus, it wasn't like that there wasn't one big reason to dislike Earth; he — after all — was literally dead. But on the other hand, Mix's father liked Earth, so it should be alright. Right? Earth shook his head. There is nothing to overthink Pirapat. Stop it!

Mix watched Earth as he closed his eyes for a moment and shook his head. Mix stroke Earth's hair and glided his hands down before interlocking them behind Earth's neck, "she does. And you are worried she doesn't like you."

"How can you tell?"

"Your reaction pretty much gave it away," Mix whispered.

"Alright, I admit it. But, it's your sister we are talking about. Of course, I want her to like me."

"Then, I have good news for you," Mix smiled. "She said that she is happy for us, but that before she can really trust you she needs to meet you. So I think you can say that she is fifty per cent in, already."

Earth visibly relaxed, "fifty per cent. That's okay. The next fifty will be easy then."

Mix raised his eyebrow, "what made you so sure?"

"Well, I'm pretty charming in person, aren't I?"

"Who told you such a lie?" Mix asked totally serious.

"A lie?!" Earth gasped. "Do I need to show you how charming I can be?"

Mix leaned closer to Earth's face, "sure. What do you have in your sleeves, babe?"

"For a starter...I'm a pretty good kisser."

"Hmmm, well, I don't know; looks like someone has been feeding you a shit ton of lies here," Mix teased.

Earth pressed a kiss next to Mix's ear, "I remember you very clearly moaning that my kiss was the best kiss you've ever had. And I also remember you clearly being awful at lying."

"Stop being so clever and kiss me already," Mix pulled on Earth's hair, sighing in pleasure when their lips finally touched.

Earth smiled into the kiss, letting Mix control the intensity. Their kiss was lazy, slow. Mix's hands, never leaving Earth's neck. Their lips were touching in calming waves, lingering in one position before moving again.

Kissing Earth was nothing like Mix imagined it to be. Earth was a ghost after all. Mix wasn't an expert on ghosts by any stretch of the imagination but before they kissed for the first time he expected the kiss to be cold, tasteless, plain. How foolish of him. Kissing Earth was nothing along those lines, not even close.

Mix could feel Earth's hands on his bare back stroking it with so much care as if Mix could break if Earth pressed a little bit harder. Mix nibbled on Earth's lower lip, making Earth groan, their tongues dancing together to the melody of their quiet moans.

Kissing Earth wasn't cold. No; it was burning hot. It was as if every fibre of Mix was engulfed in flames. The flames, so harmless yet so addicting.

Kissing Earth wasn't tasteless. No; it was sweet. But not the ordinary kind of sweet. Not like chocolate or honey or that gingerbread Mix tried. This was different. It was so much sweeter than anything else he ever tasted, yet Mix loved it. He savoured it, letting it melt on his tongue, coating his senses in the most delicious ecstasy.

Kissing Earth wasn't plain. No; it was the most exciting adventure Mix ever went on. Every time Earth kissed him Mix was there but he was also in space, the stars shining brightly around him. He was in Earth's arms but he was also in the most beautiful place there is. Where it's only them, no worries, no challenges, no expectations, just Earth's lips on his until the end and even after.

To be continued...

P.S. I don't have much to say here so I just hope you all are happy, healthy, and safe. ❤🤎