Part seven: change of mind

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them."

- Dalai Lama

The legend of true love

Praewa's diary slipped from Mix's hands, colliding with old brown carpet. Mix awkwardly laughed, biting his lips, he stood up and started walking back and forth through the small bedroom.

What kind of joke is this? The legend of true love? That legend is nothing but a ton of bullshit. Like all the legends out there. There's no way this is real. Mix's grandmother just had a peculiar sense of humour. No way there is a ghost. Earth..."I'm supposed to fall in love with a ghost?" Mix sighed, running his hand through his hair, frustrated. "Why didn't you tell us you needed psychological help, granny?"

Please open up your heart, your mind to everything, no matter how impossible it may seem.

Please, believe.

These words were stuck in Mix's mind, echoing around him over and over again.

"But, granny, this...this is crazy! If you want me to take care of the cabin, I will, but this?" Mix shook his head, running out from the room. He needed some fresh air.

Earth picked up the diary, put it back in its place. Turning around he looked out of the window, seeing Mix sitting under the maple tree next to the lake.

At least he didn't leave. "Now, when you know why you are here, should I start talking to you more, Mix? Maybe you'll hear me sooner or later."

Earth bent down, wanting to take Mix's bags and put them in the other room, but his hand just went right through the handles. Of course, he is unable to touch anything that belongs to Mix, as well as Mix himself. Not until Mix accepts Earth's existence. If he ever does.

Earth's gaze lingered on Mix's luggage for a little bit more before he moved outside, sitting aside from Mix, waiting, giving Mix time to decide what he wanted to do.

It would be nice if you stay.

.....

Mix ran out, breathing heavily, his steps lead him to the maple tree and the lake he admired when he got there—not even an hour ago—but he could swear it was way longer. He sat down, leaning with his back on the solid body of the tree, his eyes falling upon the calming water of the lake and the maple leaf, still there, still decorating the mirror surface.

He did want to have a connection to someone, to belong to someone...but a ghost? He frantically shook his head wanting to get rid of his grandmother's words. "Ghosts do not exist, Mix. You have always believed in science, this one thing can't shake you up." Mix said for himself, but he knew already—at the moment those words were leaving his mouth—that his grandmother wrote the truth. Ghosts did exist, and one was there with him.