Part forty-eight: fool in love

"One of the greatest titles in the world is parent, and one of the biggest blessings in the world is to have parents to call mom and dad."

- Jim DeMint

Upon stepping out of the aeroplane, Mix was welcomed by the familiarity of the warm weather, caressing his skin

Upon stepping out of the aeroplane, Mix was welcomed by the familiarity of the warm weather, caressing his skin. A soft smile appeared on Mix's face as he took a deep breath, looking around; he missed Thailand. 

He made it through the airport, happy to see his luggage made it back to Thailand with him undamaged, and headed outside where his father was supposed to wait for him. Mix tried to persuade his parents that he could make it home from the airport by himself, especially when everything was hectic because of all the last-minute preparations for the wedding, but the possibility of arguing with his mother and winning was next to impossible.

So it happened that when Mix stepped out of the airport he immediately saw his father, leaning on his car and waving his hand at him, "Mix, son, here!"

Mix made eye contact with his father, nodded as an acknowledgement that he saw him, and swiftly jogged toward him. "Dad, I missed you," Mix put the bag on the hood of the car and hugged his father tightly.

"Why does my son look like he is in love, huh?"

"Yeah, thanks for missing me too, dad," Mix rolled his eyes.

Aroon, let go of his son and looked around, his eyes stopping on the entrance of the airport, "so Earth..."

Mix shook his head, "I told you he won't be able to come."

"Yeah, I was just thinking that maybe—well, never mind. Get in the car, you can tell me more on our way home."

Mix took the bag and threw it into the backseat before sitting comfortably in the passenger seat of his father's Mercedes.

"So," Aroon started, "how have you been there? You and Earth — how did everything...you know, went and stuff?"

Mix cleared his throat, watching the streets pass by, through the window, "You know that this whole thing is really awkward, right? I'll be honest, it feels weird to talk about Earth, especially to you. Like, for example, how am I supposed to look over the fact that Earth knows you since you were a toddler and now he is about to be your son-in-law? That isn't exactly normal, is it?"

Mix's father looked at him, thankfully they were standing on red, "you are engaged?"

Mix's eyes go wide, "What? No, no, no, nothing like that — not yet. But, dad, my point is that," Mix ran his hand through his hair, "it's just...why didn't you tell me why I needed to go there? Why was I the only one who didn't know the real reason?"

Mix's father sighed, his eyes locked back on the road as red changed to green, "I'm sorry Sahaphap. You were your grandma's and Earth's last chance; we couldn't risk you not wanting to go."