Part twenty-three: almost I love you

"We should remember that saying 'I love you' is only a beginning. We need to say it, we need to mean it, and most importantly we need consistently to show it. We need to do both express and demonstrate love."

- David A. Bednar

It was unusually sunny and fairly warm early November afternoon

It was unusually sunny and fairly warm early November afternoon. Sheriff LeBlanc just left after he informed Mix that the doe was fully recovered, ready to be released back to her wild home. And thanked Mix once again for doing what was essentially his job, anyway.

Mix had decided to have a picnic with Earth, under his favourite Maple tree, next to the lake. Well, Mix was having a picnic. Earth only sat next to him, reading Human Acts by Han Kang. Or at least pretending to be reading. When in reality he was throwing way more glances at Mix than at the words on the pages.

Mix's eyes were closed, letting his skin be kissed by the last remains of fairly warm sun rays. His hands behind him, supporting his body, his legs stretched moving to the rhythm of some random tune in his head. A small blissful smile was painted on his rosy lips, his eyelashes softly fluttering in a gentle wind.

Earth couldn't stop looking at Mix. How could he stop looking at someone so gorgeous? Why would he want to stop? And did he even have to? He didn't. Earth was allowed to look as much as he wanted to — yup, that was what he was going with. Earth nodded for himself, closing the book and putting it away. The book could wait.

"Now, I don't know if there is something on my face or you are just so stricken by my beauty, you can't look away," Mix suddenly broke the comforting silence, his eyes still closed.

"You are gorgeous," Earth blurted out way faster than acceptable. The embarrassment fell upon him like an avalanche. He didn't feel embarrassed since he was a teen and accidentally went into a women's changing room in high school. It was purely accidental — Earth swears. Somehow, this felt even more embarrassing. Control yourself, Pirapat! You didn't have to say it so desperately. You are better than that!

Mix giggled, opening his eyes, legs folded under him, he turned towards Earth, "you aren't so bad yourself."

Their eyes met and it was more than eye contact. It was as if they were looking into each other's souls. They were communicating without needing words; the unspoken thoughts they shared through their eyes were enough.

It was crazy how when you met the person you are supposed to be with, no matter how long you know that person — week, month, year, ten years — it feels like you know them all your life; like you always did. They both feel it — that gently strong feeling in their hearts that was spreading through their veins, entering every inch of their bodies. The euphoric, tender, and explosive love.

"I like you so damn much," a single tear dropped from Mix's beautiful eye, "I'm sorry."

The tear rolling down Mix's cheek felt like yet another bullet into Earth's slowly healing heart. He didn't know why was Mix saying sorry and it didn't matter now. What mattered was Mix's tear, and another one erupting from his other eye.

Earth moved as close to Mix as possible. Their knees, almost touching, if they could. "Mix, what's wrong? Please tell me what's wrong. Mix?"

Mix sniffed, wiping the tears away with the palm of his hand, "it's...it's just so frustrating, you know? God, I'm so mad at myself."

Earth was confused, looking at Mix, who was trying to stop his tears, he didn't know what to say. "I — I don't get it, Mix. Why are you mad? You did nothing wrong. Why—"

"Because...Earth, I like you so so much. I..." Mix sighed, "you should be...we should be way closer to giving you your life back. Yet here we are. We can't even fucking touch. And why? Because of me. Because I still sometimes doubt your existence...yes I do. And I hate myself for it.  Becasue apparently, I don't feel enough. Fuck," Mix shook his head, chuckling with painful anger, "how can I not feel enough when I lo—"

"No! Mix, please don't. Don't say it. Not now. Not like this." Earth's voice was shaking his eyes frantically watching Mix's face which was now covered in shock with realization.

Mix's hands shot to his mouth, eyes big and round, still glossy with tears, "Earth...I...I'm—"

"It's not your fault," Earth said, trying to calm Mix and himself.

Mix was still coming down from shock, he furrowed his eyebrows, "what?"

"It's not your fault that we can't touch yet," Earth said, his lips pressed together in the thin line. "Mix, how much do you actually know about the legend of true love?"

Mix calmed himself down, his breathing was back to normal, he looked at Earth with a questioning look, "well, everything that my grandma and my parents told me. Why?"

Earth sighed, "Mix, getting someone back to life is a long process, even when...when love is involved. It takes time to create a bond. And honestly, for the body to start regenerating. It's not as easy as it seems. Give it time, Mix. We have all the time in the world, don't we?"

"You are not saying this just to make me feel better, are you?" Mix asked carefully. He badly wanted this to be the reason. And not him. Because Mix knew that if it was someone's fault, it was his. Because it couldn't be Earth's. It was the way Earth treated him. The way he talked to him. The way he was looking at him. It was the way Earth just was with him. It was so strong, so genuine, so caring, so loving...it was like all those things Mix saw every day between his parents. All those elements that if put together create the strongest, purest form of emotion.

Mix was sure that Earth felt it. Earth didn't need to say it for Mix to know. Or maybe it wasn't a good time yet. Just as it wasn't a few minutes ago when Mix was about to...he would never forgive himself for saying it like that. Earth deserved to hear it for the first time at a better time, the time that would feel right. They both do.

Earth smiled, "I promise, I'm not saying this just to make you feel better. Although, I want you to feel better. Do you feel better?"

The concern on Earth's face was heart-touching but also cutely funny, making Mix let out a small laugh, "I'm much better. Thank you."

Earth's face suddenly hardened, there was a concern in his eyes. "Mix, listen to me — stand up, slowly, and go inside," he whispered with urgency.

To be continued...

P.S. hmmm...danger? 🤔