Part thirty-nine: we might have a little problem

"Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars."

- Gilbert Parker

The door behind Mix closed and Earth could hear sheriff LeBlanc's car speeding away from the cabin

The door behind Mix closed and Earth could hear sheriff LeBlanc's car speeding away from the cabin. It was the third time since Earth knew Mix that they weren't together for a few hours. The first two times that they were apart Earth didn't really feel his body react in any way. Probably because at that time their relationship wasn't yet as strong as it is now.

That was the only way Earth could explain why after approximately three hours of Mix being away, his body suddenly flickered going from relatively solid to see-through and then to solid again. And why one moment he could feel the warmth of the fire burning in the fireplace and the next moment he couldn't.

His regeneration process entered its second half, now it was more crucial than ever not to be apart from Mix for more than necessary. Earth didn't know what would be better; letting Mix know what happened or keep it low. Maybe it was only a one-time thing, nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, one of the things Earth always valuated the most and especially in relationships was honesty. Mix deserved to know any change in Earth's condition especially when Mix himself was the reason for those changes.

Earth frowned and shook his head. He went outside sitting on the stairs, watching the stars appearing one after another in the clear evening sky.

He wondered if Praewa saw all of it. Did she know that what she tried for so long was finally happening? That she was right all along? That it was indeed her grandson that was meant to be the one to bring Earth back in the realm of alive? Could she see how happy Earth was? How in love he was? And could she see the same emotions in Mix as well?

"I didn't lose hope, Praewa. Do you see? Thank you, Prae. Thank you for your grandson. I promise I'll treat him like he is the most delicate thing in the world." The star above Earth flickered brightly after Earth's words as if Praewa was letting him know that she saw it all and she was protecting their love from above.

"I miss you, Prae."

Car lights pierced through the blackness of the evening, catching Earth's attention. Sheriff LeBlanc's Jeep slowed down until it completely stopped right in front of the stairs leading to the cabin.

A few moments later the passenger's door opened, revealing Mix with a bright smile. He walked to the back of the car, took out shopping bags and bit his goodbye to the sheriff.

Mix waved his hand after the sheriff, watching the car getting away. Once he was sure that the sheriff was gone, he picked up the bags from the ground and made his way upstairs to the cabin. That was when he realized Earth was there. He was smiling, standing up from the stairs walking towards Mix.

"How was the town, angel?"

"It was perfect, the only thing that was missing was you," Mix pouted, opening the door and turning on the light.

He put all the bags down and turn towards Earth. His happiness from seeing Earth again crashed. Instead, an unsettling feeling crept into Mix's heart. Before he could say something, Earth wrapped him into a tight hug, boring his head into Mix's neck. "I missed you."

"Earth, what happened?" Mix asked, pulling Earth away so he could have a better look at Earth under the light. Earth wasn't see-through for a while, well completely see-through. He was still partly see-through whenever they weren't touching, but whenever they touched, Earth looked like a normal person; not see-through at all.

But now under the light, Mix could see that even though they were in each other's arms Mix could still see through Earth a little bit. Cold shivers engulfed Mix's body — what was happening? He wasn't gone for that long. Everything should be okay!

"Earth, what's — what's going on?" Mix could hear himself; there was panic in his voice.

Earth was confused. How could Mix possibly know that something wrong happened? "Everything's alright now. I'm okay — "

"I can see through you! Even now, holding you...I still can..."

"Shhh," Earth hugged Mix again, "it's alright, I promise. That happens sometimes. We talked about it, remember? Every time we are apart it will affect me a little. But it's alright now. You are here."

Mix calmed down a little, his hands wrapped tightly around Earth's waist, "I wasn't gone so long. I thought you said that if it's more than a few days..."

"It's nothing major. I'll be alright if you hold me a little bit longer. Don't you want to, hmmm?" Earth said with a soothing voice. It scared Mix more than Earth had expected. He didn't want Mix to worry so much. It really wasn't that serious.

"So all I need to do is hold you and you'll be alright?" Mix asked, his hands releasing Earth's waist and cupping Earth's face, eyes searching for any sign that Earth was only pretending to be fine. But nothing. That finally put Mix to ease. It was nothing, just a minor slip up in Earth's regeneration process. But suddenly Mix wasn't so sure that Earth will be alright when Mix won't be with him for four days.

"Uhm," Earth pecked Mix's lips, "sounds nice, doesn't it?"

Mix smiled, "it does. But let me change into something comfier first." He stepped away from Earth and made his way upstairs but then he remembered. A smirk appeared on his face as he turned back to Earth, "do you perhaps want to help me get rid of this?" Mix pointed at his clothes.

Earth smiled, "you are continuing when you stopped, I see. Anyway, I'll wait for you on the sofa."

Mix shrugged, "okay, your loss," and ran upstairs.

.....

Five minutes later the couple was cuddling on the sofa, the blanket, thrown over them. The lights were turned off, their silhouettes were illuminated only by the crackling fire from the fireplace.

Mix was sitting on Earth's lap, his hands in Earth's hair, making new hairstyles every minute. Earth was slowly running his hands up and down Mix's thighs and his eyes were watching Mix's adorably focused face. "So, tell me something about your trip to town. How was it?"

"We might have a little problem," Mix said and stopped playing with Earth's hair.

"What problem?" Earth's hands stopped their movement.

"My sister is getting married."

"But that's great, Mix."

"It's in three weeks."

To be continued...

P.S. Mix kinda freaked out in this chapter...maybe he shouldn't worry so much.