Part fifty-one: tear of a heart

"You find out what you are made of when you have a broken heart. If it happens early and often, all the better."

- Isabel Gillies

Buffalo was cold but bearable and after Mix saw the news about the disastrous weather situation almost all over Canada, he knew it was nothing compared to what was waiting for him if he wanted to get to Earth in the nearest future

Mix was waiting at the bus station for the bus to Winnipeg. Apparently one of the last busses until the situation in Canada settles in.

Mix was worried and scared. Worried about Earth because at this point it was four whole days — almost five since they were together and Mix knew damn well what could happen to Earth during regeneration even when they were apart for way less than five days. And scared because the weather situation was looking way worse than Mix was expecting. Yes, the lady at the airport did say that the situation was extremely bad but maybe next time it would be better to elaborate more.

From the news, it looked like a new Ice Age had fallen upon Canada and Mix's journey back to the Ghost Cabin was looking more and more impossible with each weather news update he saw.

From what Mix had gathered from the news — everything was closed; schools—which was to Mix obvious, even without news anchor mentioning it like thousand times, it was Christmas break so of course schools were closed.

But other institutions were closed too — banks, post offices, shops, even churches in the most affected areas, sports centres, ice rings, and so on. Everyone was advised to stay at home. Families that had planned to travel for the Christmas holidays somewhere else were now stuck at home.

It seemed that the whole country was running at the emergency level — not surprising after news anchors said that it was the strongest wave of snowstorms that hit Canada in over a half of the century.

Mix sighed looking at his phone, the bus should be there any minute. It will be already night when he will arrive in Winnipeg and from there he will have to find the quickest way to get to Yellowknife which was extremely far from Winnipeg. And then, from there Mix will have to find the way to get to the cabin.

If he calls sheriff LeBlanc from Winnipeg in the middle of the night and in the middle of the craziest storm ever, what kind of reaction was he going to get? It was a worrying question but Mix didn't have the luxury to dwell on it. There was no other way — sheriff LeBlanc will hear from him the moment his bus enters Winnipeg.

.....

A few hours later and hundreds of kilometres later the bus was approaching Mix's first destination and Mix couldn't help but bit his lips so harsh he could taste blood on his tongue. They were moving so slow that instead of arriving around midnight it was almost 3 AM when they finally entered Winnipeg.

But Mix should be thankful that they were even able to get there. Mix had no idea how could the bus driver saw anything at all outside — it was pitch black and the snow was so heavy it was like someone blindfolded you and told you to drive. Would you? How?