Part thirty-eight: i can't leave him

"The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost."

- Gilbert K. Chesterton

Mix folded the letter back into the envelope and put it in the inside pocket of his coat

Mix folded the letter back into the envelope and put it in the inside pocket of his coat. The commentator on the TV shouted as one of the teams scored what seemed to be a winning goal.

From the other side of the café Mix could see a young family entering. A little boy and a girl were holding in their small hands a bunch of gingerbreads; most likely coming from the same post office as he just did. Their mother was trying to get all the snow away from their clothes.

Mix looked outside the window, confirming what he had thought; it was snowing. Snowflakes were elegantly falling from the sky, slowly — as if they had all the time in the world — covering the icy ground. Mix was getting used to snow. It was pretty, and who doesn't like pretty things?

Mix tipped his own gingerbread into the warm tea and took the first bite. It tasted sweet but not overly sweet. He hummed in satisfaction, his taste buds were pleasantly surprised. Frankly speaking, the tea was even sweeter than the gingerbread itself. Mix could cope with that.

He took his phone and dialled his sister's number. His fingers were lightly tapping on a dark wooden table as he was waiting for his sister to pick up the phone. He wondered what was Earth doing...

"Mix? I can't believe you finally got out of the dungeon." 

"Miss you too. And just for your information, I love it here."

"I'm glad to hear that. I assume you read my letter."

"Uhmm, congrats on the wedding, sis."

"Can you sound more excited?"

"Yaaay, you are getting married. I can't wait!" Mix spoke a little bit louder but still tried to keep it in the coffee shop level of loudness. "Better?"

"Yup."

"For real sis, I'm happy for you. I know you have dreamed about it for years."

"Thank you, Mix. So when can we expect you? I assume it won't be on Christmas, right?"

I assume it won't be on Christmas...Or maybe you are not alone. Am I right? That was right, it looked like his sister knew about Earth. Of course, she did! His parents did, his sister did; Mix was the only one who had no freaking idea. Wasn't that perfect? It wasn't like Earth's existence was concerning Mix the most or anything. Why would anyone bother telling him?

Mix rolled his eyes, shaking his head in disbelief. He loved his family but sometimes, just sometimes he felt like a fool around them. "Sis, may I ask you something?"

"Sounding so serious now. Okay go on, what is it?"

Mix ran his free hand through his hair, "do you know who Earth is?"