part fifty-seven: beating heart

"Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart."

- Marcus Aurelius

"Mix," Earth shook Mix in his arms once again, but Mix wasn't responding, his body was like a puppet, allowing Earth to move it however he wanted to

It was alright, everything was alright. Mix fainted because he experienced a shock-Mix thought that Earth was dead. It was understandable that Earth suddenly appearing in front of Mix would be a hard pill to swallow. That was why he fainted. Earth just had to give Mix a few minutes and then Mix will open his galaxy eyes like he always did, and look at Earth with youthful curiosity and love.

Earth slid his hands under Mix's legs and lifted him up, realizing that it was way easier than it used to be only days ago. Earth's worries got even bigger when he laid Mix on the sofa and took a good look at him. Mix looked skinnier than he normally was. Just a little over a week ago Mix's body was glowing with health and beauty. Now he seemed like he haven't eaten anything for days.

Earth kneeled in front of Mix, stroking his sunken cheek with his thumb, "please, tell me you ate something, angel." Earth leaned in, pressing a kiss on Mix's forehead and holding his hand tightly, "I'm here now, it's going to be alright, I'll take care of you."

Minutes were passing and Mix was still not opening his eyes, and Earth was having a bad feeling that Mix was having a fever. His body was too hot on touch and Earth could see tiny droplets of sweat on Mix's forehead.

On the other hand, Earth was shivering. It must have been only a few degrees warmer in the cabin than it was outside. Earth looked around himself, his chest tightening with every next glance he took. No fire in the fireplace, Christmas lights turned off, Mix's bags packed next to the sofa, the painting Earth gave Mix for Christmas—laying on the table; Mix was ready to leave.

And Earth understood, he would do the same if it was the other way around. He didn't think that he would be strong enough to stay at the place that would remind him of Mix every second of his life.

Earth would leave and never return back.

He turned back to Mix, his shoulders falling when there still was no sign of Mix waking up. He patted Mix's hair and whispered, "you don't have to leave anymore. I'm here with you. I'm here."

Watching Mix for a few more seconds, Earth stood up and made his way towards the fireplace. The ashes were already cold, meaning the fire wasn't on for a while already. Earth shook his head, grabbed some wood and lighted a fire, praying that the wood would catch on the first try.

Minutes later, calming sound of crackling fire spread through the hostile cabin. Earth smiled with hope and went to turn on the Christmas lights, hoping to create a nice and cozy atmosphere for Mix when he, hopefully, soon wakes up.