Part six: diary

"True love cannot be found where it does not exist, nor it can be denied where it does."

- Torquato Tasso

Mix waited a fraction of a moment for something to happen, a voice to enter his ears, before he got ahold of himself, shaking his head with a chuckle, "that sheriff really messed up with my head

Mix waited a fraction of a moment for something to happen, a voice to enter his ears, before he got ahold of himself, shaking his head with a chuckle, "that sheriff really messed up with my head. Ghosts don't exist, Mix." He said for himself, deciding to stop standing at the entrance and made his way to the cozy-looking living room.

Making another step upfront a sudden coldness engulfed him again and it suddenly felt harder to move as if Mix bumped into something, but there was nothing. The closest thing in front of him was a dark wooden wall with a shelf carrying three black and gold candlesticks. And that was at least another six-seven steps away from where he stood.

Furrowing his forehead, Mix slowly looked around, laughing at himself he repeated, "ghosts don't exist!"

"Ghosts do not exist? Damn, right they do! You just walked through one!" Earth was with a very persistent voice speaking at Mix, shifting his intangible body in weird ways trying to get comfortable again. "How rude! Don't you think you are being too intimate at the first meeting?"

Earth obviously got no reaction from the younger, who mindlessly put his luggage next to a surprisingly comfortably looking brown leather sofa, which was facing a majestic stone fireplace.

If there was a heart of the cabin it had to be the fireplace, Mix thought in awe, plopping on the sofa, his eyes stuck on the beauty in front of him. Mix had never seen a fireplace like that in real life, only in some historical movies. Fireplaces like this one belong to medieval castles...and not to a cabin in the woods.

Next to the fireplace stood empty wicker basked; it looked like Mix needed to find outside some wood before he could try to use the fireplace.

Mix closed his eyes, exhausted from the travelling, the funeral, and the moving. But it was alright. It was done. He was there, in the cabin where his grandmother wanted him to be. It didn't feel weird, or unsettling. On the contrary, somehow it felt right. As if for the first time in his life, he was exactly where he was supposed to be.

Earth was standing at the same spot where he was when Mix walked through him, watching Mix, unable to look away. Something much stronger than Earth's will was pulling him towards the young man from the moment Earth saw him through that window, getting out of the Jeep. Was Praewa possibly right? Was Mix all along, the one Earth was waiting for all those years?

But how could someone who didn't see Earth nor hear Earth be the one?

"How can I make you believe in ghosts, Mix?" Earth asked, looking at Mix's peaceful face, eyelids fluttering like wings of a butterfly, soft round cheeks and mildly open lips breathing air in and out.

And then it happened, the moment Earth said those words, Mix's butterfly eyelids sprung up open, head, turning in Earth's direction, eyebrows furrowed. For a second Earth thought that Mix could see him or at least hear him, but then Mix just shrugged and stood from the sofa, taking his luggage.