Part twenty-eight: too much to handle

"Life comes from the earth and life returns to the earth."

- Zhuangzi

"I can joke about a lot of things, Mix

"I can joke about a lot of things, Mix. But not this one."

"I know, I'm sorry. I just had to give it a try. You know, all this time I was telling myself that I don't need to worry about you because there is literally nothing that can happen to you. Looks like I was wrong."

"I didn't tell this to you for you to worry about me, angel," Earth said, his soft, soothing voice, gently wrapped itself around Mix, the same way the blanket and the duvet were wrapped around his body.

"Well, yeah...then... let's at least pray that my sister won't decide to get married before your heart starts beating again."

"Sure, but if your sister decides to have the wedding you need to go, Mix. You know that."

"I can't leave you here, after what you told me."

"It's your sister's wedding. I'll be alright for a few days. I am a tough guy," Earth wiggled his eyebrows.

"No, I'm serious Earth. I won't go anywhere."

"Mix," Earth sighed, "she is your sister."

"And you are my boyfriend."

Mix watched Earth's lips opening and closing again without any sound coming out of them, his eyes, bigger than usual. Why wasn't Earth saying anything? Weren't they boyfriends? Did Mix read everything wrong all that time? No, there was no way.

"You are my boyfriend, aren't you?" Mix said quietly, insecurity creeping in.

Earth rose himself on his elbows, took a corner of the duvet that wasn't covering Mix's shoulder and covered it, "I am your boyfriend, angel. It's just that...I haven't officially asked you yet."

There were looking into each other's eyes, again. Getting lost in their world, again.

Mix blinked once, twice, three times... "so are you going to ask me or?"

A few more excruciatingly slow seconds passed and then, "Will you be my boyfriend?" Earth whispered, not for a second breaking the eye contact.

"Yes," Mix whispered back, breaking into a smile he threw the duvet on his face.

Earth laughed, he caressed Mix's thigh through the duvet and laid back, turning himself on Mix's side. "You are so cute, you know that?"

"And you aren't that cold anymore. Do you know that?" Mix's face reappeared from under the duvet, his cheeks rosy and smile shy.

"What?" Earth's laugh stopped.

"The air around you. It isn't so cold anymore. It's more lukewarm now. That's good, isn't it?"