Part fourteen: ...ever again

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."

- Edgar Allan Poe

"Now, this is the best tea you will ever have

"Now, this is the best tea you will ever have. My culinary skills and Praewa's herbs she picked in the woods — a heavenly combination." Earth's proud voice cut through the tranquillity of the cabin.

The moment Mix saw a mug full of hot tea floating in the air, his first thought was: oh no, it's gonna pour all over the floor! But then he realized that it won't pour anywhere because Earth was holding it. Mix really needed to get used to it, either that or he had to bring himself to be able to see Earth as soon as possible.

The mug landed on the table right in front of Mix and seconds later Mix could feel through the blanket the coldness of Earth's palm on his thigh.

"I'm back. I wasn't long, was I?"

Mix shook his head, "no, thank you."

"It still looks pretty hot, so be careful. Don't drink it yet," Earth said, nodding for himself a little bit. At least Mix wasn't so pale anymore.

"Earth?"

"Hmmm?"

"Do you think it will take long before I will be able to see you?" Mix asked, his fingers tracing the hem of the blanket.

Earth sighed, "I don't know, Mix, I don't know. Only you can know that. But...you seem to like me already, so probably it won't take that long."

"Who said I like you?" Mix asked swiftly, causing him to cough again.

"Hmm, I don't know...my intuition?"

"Then, your intuition is wrong."

"If you say so," Earth smiled.

"Can I drink the tea, now?" Mix asked, half sitting, his hand was reaching for the tea.

The mug smoothly flew to Mix's hands. "Here you go, but be careful—it's still hot," Earth said.

Mix took the first sip, the smooth sweet texture of the warm tea embraced his throat, making him feel better. At least for a moment. "It's actually really good."

"That's my culinary skills for you."

.....

For the next few days, Mix felt awful. The constant coughing, him feeling one minute on fire and second like he was in Antarctica about to be frozen forever, and his whole being felt like a whole damn piano was dropped on him...it wasn't fun.

Mix was sleeping more than he was up but every time he actually knew what was happening around him, he felt Earth beside him. Sometimes they talked and sometimes they didn't.

Earth didn't move from him even for a moment.

It was somehow reassuring for Mix that Earth was willing to spend so much time with him. But every time Mix thought like that his rational side made an entrance: well what else he is supposed to do? He is a ghost and he has been here for twenty years. The only reason why Earth didn't move from you is that you are, for now, the new and most interesting thing here. The ghost is just bored.

Approximately on the fourth day — Mix isn't sure, he lost his track of time somewhere between sleeping and not sleeping upstairs in his bed — he felt so much better.

He woke up around noon. The sun was high up the sky, past the point of entering his bedroom. Despite the sun in attendance, the heavy wind was resounding through the wooden skeleton of the Ghost Cabin, but as always it wasn't cold. Mix was sure the fireplace downstairs, was busy once again. When Mix was getting ready to move there, he really wasn't expecting that he would burn so much wood already in September. 

Actually, it was more like Earth was the one burning the wood, not Mix. "I feel better today," Mix said. He didn't have to ask Earth if he was around anymore. At some moment during the worst part of his flu Mix had realized that he didn't need to feel the specific kind of coldness to know that Earth was beside him. For some reason, Mix's senses could pick up Earth's presence without seeing him, hearing him, or feeling him. Mix just knew Earth was there. Yet there was still no improvement with him being able to see Earth.

"Good morning. I'm glad to hear that," Earth said. He was relieved, hearing Mix saying that he felt better. Earth was worried — maybe more than he should have been— these past days, seeing Mix so week. There definitely weren't going to be more pranks on Mix...at least not the kind that can affect his health. "Are you hungry?"

Mix nodded quickly, "yes so much! My appetite is back; that's a good sign."

"I'll make you something," Earth said.

"No, that's fine, I'll do it myself. I don't even know what I'm craving," Mix said, getting out of the warm comfort of the bed.

"There is not much food left," Earth said, following Mix downstairs. "But I think sheriff Leblanc is supposed to come today with groceries, so don't worry."

"That's fine. I'll just eat what I'll find," Mix made his way to the kitchen area, and started looking around for something eatable. "But honestly, I feel so much better. These past days were awful...ugh...at some moments I thought that I would join you in your ghost life," Mix laughed.

"Don't say that ever again, Mix!"

The harsh tone of Earth's voice made Mix realize the heaviness of his own words. He felt awful, and it wasn't only physical anymore.

There was a loud knock on the door before Mix could take his words back. His eyes shot at the front door, hearing the knock again.

"Mix, It's me, sheriff LeBlanc. Your grocery is here," the sheriff's voice could be heard from the outside.

Mix sighed. Opening the door, he put on a smile, "sheriff, welcome. Nice seeing you again. Come inside."

Sheriff's hold on two grocery bags became tighter. He shifted from one leg to the other and started looking around himself, "hmm, actually I can't. You know like last time. I have...work."

Oh yeah, Mix remembered; sheriff LeBlanc was afraid of 'Casper the friendly ghost.'  Well, he wasn't the only one afraid now. After Mix's last words to Earth, Mix was kind of afraid too.

"Yes, of course, I understand, you are a busy man," Mix said, his voice still raspy and weaker than normal.

Sheriff's forehead furrowed, "Mix are you feeling okay? You look and sound sick."

"It's fine. I just have flu," Mix shivered, the cold wind touched his exposed skin. He should have put a hoodie on before he had opened the door.

"Oh, I go back then and bring you some antibiotics or something," sheriff LeBlanc said, showing the two bags into Mix's arms, and already turning around to leave.

"Wait, sheriff! There is no need. I'm better now. It's been a few days since it started so the worst is behind me. I'll be fit in no time."

"If you are sure. It's okay if you are alone here now? I can send my daughter here to keep you company for a few days until you are better. She used to do it when Ms Praewa lived here too."

Mix quickly shook his head, "no, thank you but there is no need. I'm not alo— I don't feel alone here."

Sheriff Leblanc raised his eyebrow, "you don't? Did you perhaps see the ghost of the Ghost Cabin?"

To be continued...

P.S. Happy Valentine darlings. I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH. ❤🤎🌹😘