Part twenty-nine: free fall

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

- Arthur Miller

"So I've been thinking —" Mix started as he was walking down the stairs the next morning

"Wow, that's a strong statement from you so early in the morning," Earth interrupted, already in the kitchen, making coffee for his sleepy angel.

Mix stopped with his foot in the air, about to step down on another step, "excuse me?"

"Oh, you are excused everything, angel," Earth grinned.

Mix rolled his eyes, resuming his walk down the stairs, "so as I was saying — I've been thinking...I want to go climbing. Is there a place somewhere close that we can go?"

Earth put the freshly brewed coffee in front of Mix, his face serious, "Yes, but no."

"Huh?"

"There is a place but you are definitely not about to climb it in November."

"Oh come on, why not? I'm great at climbing. For years I was a member of the climbing club. I'm almost like a professional."

Earth didn't look like Mix's words convinced him at all, if anything, his face got sharper out of nowhere. "Mix I said no! I don't want to be telling you what you can and cannot but this is a hard no. I'm sorry."

"But why? I told you I'm good at it. You don't need to worry," Mix was getting frustrated. A small climb won't kill anyone.

"If for nothing else then for the fact that it was raining during the night. It will be dangerous. The rocks can be slippery. What if something happens to you?" Earth immediately closed his eyes, shaking his head. Just thought of something happening to Mix was against his whole existence.

"Nothing will happen to me. I promise I'll be extra careful. Please, Earth...honey..." Mix pouted his big pretty eyes begging Earth to say 'yes.'

Earth sighed, "pet names won't work right now, Mix. Nor your puppy eyes."

"Okay, fine. I will go alone. I'm sure sheriff LeBlanc knows some good climbing places around here." Mix said, taking the sip from his coffee and moving past Earth to get something for breakfast.

Earth stood right behind Mix, so close that Mix could almost feel Earth's body, almost. Earth leaned to Mix's ear whispering, "I'm not sure now if you are an angel or the devil now."

Mix turned towards Earth, their faces so close, "I can be both."

A small laugh erupted from Earth, he ran his hand through his hair, "you will go no matter what, won't you?"

Mix nodded, "I will."

"Fine, you won. But, I'm taking you to the least dangerous climbing rock we have around here."