Part twenty: duty calls

"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life."

-  Charles Darwin

"...can't play it. My knowledge of popular culture past 2000 is basically non-existent. Praewa didn't really keep up with the outside world since we moved here," Earth explained, sitting next to pouty Mix.

"Okay, fine. We have a plethora of time. I'll tell you everything you need to know about popular culture. We can't have you be completely lost once you are alive again."

"Once I am alive again," Earth repeated those words with a tiny smile, his eyes focused on Mix.

A sudden loud banging on the door scared Mix. His body subconsciously moved as close to Earth as possible — a stunned expression on his face.

The sound repeated itself even more urgently, followed by a loud voice, "Mix, Mix, it's sheriff LeBlanc. We need your help."

Mix's soul returned to his body. He awkwardly laughed, glancing at Earth who was looking at him with a raised eyebrow. "It's just the sheriff," Mix said as if Earth couldn't hear it too.

"Yeah, Mix, I know." Earth frowned, "he isn't alone. Sheriff Anderson is here too. It must be something serious. Go, go ask them, so they won't wait long."

"Mix, are you there? It's sheriff LeBlanc," Sheriff's urgent voice sounded from outside once again.

Mix's mind finally got out of the little shock and started working properly again. "Oh, yeah," Mix stood up from the sofa, quickly skipping through the cabin to the front door. Opening them, cold shivers engulfed his body — it was dark and cold outside.

"Sheriff?"

"Oh, Mix, thank God you are still up," the old, wrinkled face of sheriff LeBlanc relaxed a little bit.

Mix bit his lip, "um, it's not that late. Only around ten, so it's fine. But, how can I help you at this hour?"

A young, maybe around thirty-five years old woman with long blond hair, tied in a ponytail, and gentle face stepped in front of Mix, "we haven't met yet. I'm sheriff Hannah Anderson, nice to meet you."

Mix nodded, "um, nice to meet you, Mix Sahaphap Wongratch."

"You sound sexy when you speak in English," Earth said, leaning on the opened door, right next to Mix.

Mix looked at Earth for a second, but not enough for sheriff Anderson to get suspicious.

"We heard that you are a vet," sheriff Anderson said, the urgency was once again present in the air.

"Yes, I talked about it with sher—"

"We need your help. There is a wounded doe, about five minutes away from here."