Part twenty-seven: a second chance

"The greatest pleasure of life is love."

- Euripides

Earth opened his eyes, fixing his gaze on Mix, "are you jealous?"

"What? No! Nooo, I'm just curious, that's all."

"Okay," Earth chuckled, "there was one boy, shortly before Praewa decided that we will move to Canada. But it ended before it even started."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, picture this: Praewa comes to the living room and she is like: 'Earth, I think I have found someone.' Her eyes sparkling and everything. And she continues: 'He is here. In the kitchen. Son of our new neighbours. Come meet him.' Honestly, I was so confused where did she dig out that guy from, but okay I went to the kitchen. The moment that boy saw me, he was roughly your age and hey! he could see me since the beginning; that was a good sign. But everything after that...not so much."

"Don't tell me he ran away or something," Mix furrowed his eyebrows. It bugged him a little; the fact that that random guy could see Earth since the first moment they met while Mix couldn't see him for days, weeks, months.

"No," Earth shook his head, "he didn't run away. He screamed and then he ran away. Never saw him again."

"Thankfully," Mix burst out laughing.

"What was that?" Earth asked with a small smile and a questioning look in his eyes.

"Oh, sorry," Mix stopped laughing, "I shouldn't laugh. It isn't funny at all."

Earth's smile got even bigger, "no, I meant what you said. The fact that he ran away was actually kinda funny."

"Ahaa, what I said," Mix pouted, "well, if he didn't run away who knows, maybe we would never meet. So I guess it's good he did run away. Or is it not?"

"Hmmm, well, I was a lonely broken-hearted ghost for another twenty-two years, so..." Earth was pretending to think really hard about it to tease Mix just a tiny bit. When in reality Earth was happy. Finally truly happy. He waited so long for a person that would be part of him; who was always supposed to be part of him and he part of that person. And seeing this angelic boy right in front of him, knowing that the love of this boy belongs to him... Earth would wait another fifty-six years and even longer if it would mean that one day Mix would find his way to him.

"Hey!" Mix's hand sprung towards Earth's arm, his palm falling right through the ghostly arm, falling on the white smooth duvet. He was staring at his hand laying there where Earth's arm was, before he took it away, sadness and guilt were prominent on his face. "Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean—"

"It's okay. At least this time you didn't walk right through me," Earth winked.

"Yeah...that must have felt weird."

"A little bit uncomfy," Earth nodded. "But it's okay because it's you."

"Are you flirtin' with me?" Mix giggled.

"I don't know. Am I?"

Mix shook his head, smiling he laid down on his back, now both of them were starring at the ceiling. The candlelight was performing a shadowy play on the dark oak wood; calming their senses. "When my grandma decided to move here, why did you agree? Why did you go with her? You could have expected that it would be really hard to find someone for you here."

"At that point, I wasn't expecting anything. Praewa told me years before, that once she retires she wants to move to Canada to that one remote cabin in the middle of nowhere. Did you know that this cabin belonged to the family of your grandfather and when he died it went to Praewa?"

"Umm, my father told me. Honestly, until I met you I thought that that was the main reason why my grandma wanted me so badly to take care of the cabin. I really wasn't expecting a ghost to be the reason."

"Surprise," Earth laughed. "Anyway, when that day came and Praewa said that we are moving to Canada. We just did. That's it."

"But, why did you go? I don't understand."

"Your grandmother was the one who made that promise to me, Mix. Once the person makes a legend of a true love promise to a ghost, that ghost can't leave that person until the promise is granted. I thought you knew that," Earth turned his head towards Mix.

"I didn't." Mix's forehead was furrowed, "but my grandmother died, so what now?"

"I still can't go further than a few kilometres I guess. This place belonged to Praewa so now I'm chained to this place until the promise is granted. Until my heart won't start beating again."

"You can't leave?"

"No."

"But what if I will have to go? I haven't told you but my sister — she is engaged. They don't know when they will have the wedding but she and her fiance are both crazy spontaneous so they can literally wake up in the morning and decide that they want to have a wedding next week."

"Hmmm, okay, I admit that might be a little bit of a problem," Earth said, absentmindedly nodding his head.

"What kind of problem?" Mix asked, his eyes gliding along Earth's defined jawline.

"For someone who said that they know the legend of true love, you don't know that much, huh?"

"I know only the basics. It can bring ghosts back to life," Mix shifted his gaze back on the ceiling.

"That's okay. I'll tell you everything you need to know. Don't worry."

Mix wasn't worried but he was definitely getting a little bit agitated by clearly not knowing everything he should about the whole thing. And what if Earth would think that Mix was stupid or that he didn't care about it? But Earth's words calmed him down and he was ready to listen more.

"The problem of you leaving while I still can't is that once the love connection between a ghost and a human starts forming, the form of ghost is slowly entering the regeneration process. During that process, until the heart of a ghost starts beating again, making the ghost human again — the couple should stay together all the time. Because if they are apart for more than two or three days, let's say the body of the ghost will enter the regression mode, and if the ghost isn't reconnected with their human half soon, the ghost will eventually evaporate. For the lack of better words — the ghost will die and there won't be a second chance anymore."

Earth can die?

Ghosts can die too?

"Just by chance," Mix nervously chuckled, "you aren't joking, right?"

To be continued...

P.S. let's start a little countdown here...shall we? 👀

         🔥 - 3 CHAPTERS to go🔥