Part fifty-five: the goodbye pain

"It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure."

- Ernie Harwell

It was dark outside and then there was light again, and then the darkness crept back in

Mix was still laying at the same place, his body suffering in excruciating pain—it felt like he was on fire one second and then the other he was thrown into a freezing river. He must have a fever. He needed to get up.

This was not what would Earth want. Earth would want Mix to be safe, happy, and healthy. Earth would take Mix in his arms, wrap him in their fluffy blanket and light the fire so that Mix wouldn't be cold anymore.

And then, Earth would make Mix a big mug of hot tea and sit next to him, embracing him in his arms, telling Mix that he will be warm soon, joking with him—doing anything to make Mix comfortable.

Like that time after they built those snowmen and that one fell on Earth. Mix's clothes were drenched in snow, he was cold—very cold. Not as cold as he was now, laying on the floor, and yet, Earth still did everything he could to make Mix feel better.

So, where was he now? Where was his Earth now, when Mix needed him? Oh God, Mix needed him so much. He needed to feel those strong arms that felt like home to wrap around him and that soothing smooth voice to tell him that he will be warm soon.

But he knew it, his consciousness was screaming at him that no matter how much he needed it—it won't happen; not now, not ever. Not anymore.

His mouth was dry and his eyes even drier. It was like there was no water left in his body, he cried it all out. 70 per cent of the human body is water—if there was no water in him, he should be dead...he should be.

No. He couldn't think like that. It felt like hell now, it felt like he was dead, but Mix was going to get better—for his family, his best friend, his Earth.

For Earth.

Mix will get up and take care of himself, he will make sure that Earth won't feel guilty about leaving him so early. Because Earth was watching him. Of course, he was! If ghosts could exist, who's there to say that even after they die, they still do not linger in the air but this time no one can ever see them again?

"I know you are still here with me," Mix rasped, his weak hands trying to push him up from the floor. It took all his remaining strength to actually get up, his head was spinning and his legs were shaking so much it was almost impossible to move.