part fifty-eight: the chicken emergency

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

- Mahatma Gandhi

"Is this my father's sweater?"

Earth looked down at his sweater and then chuckled, "this? Oh, yeah that's—I needed new clothes because not only I was walking around in the same clothes for over fifty years, but they were also covered in blood." Earth could sense Mix tensing at the mentioning of blood, so he quickly added, "it was the blood from when I died. It appeared on my shirt when I showed up in the same convenience store where I died."

Mix looked incredibly confused and he felt that way too. Frowning, he said, "I didn't understand a word you just said."

"It's okay, I'll explain everything once we are cuddled up in bed," Earth squeezed Mix's thigh and went to make the tea.

Once they are cuddled up in bed—Mix wanted that immediately. He was so tired and weak. Feeling Earth's body pressed close to him, being able to bask in Earth's sandalwood and nature-like scent, again, sounded like heaven. He didn't need tea, he didn't need to eat, he just needed Earth's strong arms wrapped protectively around him.

Right at that moment, Mix's stomach let out a protesting sound so loud that even Earth heard it. He turned around and raised an eyebrow at Mix with a knowing look. Alright, maybe Mix really needed to eat but the tea was truly unnecessary.

"What kind of tea would you like, sir?" Earth asked in a dramatic way as if they were in Victorian England.

"I don't need tea," Mix said, wrapping the blanket even tighter around himself. He wasn't hot anymore, instead, he felt like someone threw him outside into that ungodly cold snow. He missed Earth's warmth that was spreading from him when he stood so incredibly close to Mix only moments ago.

That was for the first time that Mix felt Earth's body was as warm as his own or even more—another sign that Mix wasn't just going insane, that Earth was truly alive.

There was another pull on Mix's heart, but the good one, the kind you feel when you are with the person you love and you are happy, for that person, for yourself, for both of you.

"Are you sure?"

"You acting as if tea would help me that much," Mix rolled his eyes.

"Tea always helps," Earth said matter of factly but put the box with many kinds of tea away.

"Yes, but I don't think I'm having a cold or something like that. I just," Mix sighed, "it's probably the stress of the last few days catching up with me."

Earth nodded but said nothing. He just turned around back to the chicken, checking how long they still had to wait.

Mix didn't know why but that simple gesture made him feel like Earth was mad at him. And Mix understood—he was mad at himself, too. He should have eaten during those days, no matter how bad he felt. Humans need to eat in order to survive and yet Mix acted like food didn't exist, for days.