part fifty-two: the betrayal

"Trust dies, but missturst blossoms."

- Sophocles

Early next morning Mix finally sat in sheriff LeBlanc's car, his leg shaking up and down, as he was looking anxiously outside at the apocalyptic world

They were moving so slow it was painful. Snow was covering everything, having an immense effect on the traffic. Sheriff LeBlanc was humming to the tune of some Christmas song — Mix wasn't even sure he ever heard before — while his eyes were more on Mix than on the road.

"So will you tell me now, why do you need to go back to the cabin so desperately despite this calamity we are in?"

"It's...I promise I'll explain after but now I need you to get us to the cabin as fast as possible, please." Mix said looking at his phone — December 31st, the last day of the year, but also the 6th day of Earth being alone in the cabin.

A cold shiver ran down Mix's spine. He shook it off. Maybe he was just overthinking everything. Earth was alright, cuddled up on the sofa, reading a book under the Christmas lights and waiting peacefully for Mix, while Mix was here losing his mind.

But the constant stinging of his heart was telling Mix that his worries weren't only the product of his paranoid imagination. He was squeezing the car door handle tightly, his nervousness not letting him relax even for a moment.

"Are you sure you are fine, Mix? You seem very uneasy," sheriff LeBlanc frowned.

"I'll be better once I'm at the cabin," Mix retorted way more harshly than he intended to but the sheriff said nothing.

.....

"Where are we going?" Mix asked as the car turned a different way than he was expecting when they entered the small town closest to the cabin. They were both tired. It took them over twenty hours to get there and honestly Mix was surprised that sheriff LeBlanc was still capable of driving.

"To the police station. It's life-threatening to go to the cabin area now, so I need you to sign some papers that you are fully aware of it. It will take only a few minutes."

"Oh, alright," Mix nodded and watched as sheriff LeBlanc skillfully parked in front of a police station despite the blizzard still raging outside.

"Careful, it's slippery outside," sheriff LeBlanc said, and got out of the car.

Mix zipped up his jacket and braced himself before he stepped out into the blizzard and hurriedly followed the sheriff inside. The snow was hitting his face from every side, his eyes could barely come up with what was two steps in front of him.

Mix was fully aware that the fact that they even drove there was a miracle. He had no idea how he was going to reach the cabin. The only thing he knew was that we will get to the cabin no matter what. No one could stop Mix from making sure that Earth was alright. Not even Nature itself.

The snow was hitting him hard and covered his hair and shoulders even before he made his first steps away from the car towards the police station.

The automatic door opened welcoming both of them to a heavenly warm place that surprisingly smelled like Christmas baking and coffee. The station looked empty besides the secretary at the entrance and one police officer that hurriedly walked out past them.

"Everyone is out helping people," sheriff LeBlanc explained upon seeing the surprised look on Mix's face and mentioned for him to turn left, deeper inside the building. "Come, this way."

Everyone is out helping people — Mix suddenly felt awful. The weather was extremely dangerous and there were many people, whole families even or old people who needed help. Sheriff LeBlanc could have been helping them right now if Mix wasn't so desperate to get to Earth.

Was it selfish of Mix? It probably was. Mix was occupying the sheriff's time for almost two days already — two days that could have been spent helping and saving people instead. But not anymore. Mix will sign those papers sheriff LeBlanc wanted him to and then he will go to the cabin by himself so the sheriff will be free to go and do what really mattered.

They entered another room in the back of the building it seemed that that was the one where officers were sitting, considering six desks filled with papers, half drank coffee, unfinished food and pens and paper clips scattered all over it. The right side of the spacious room was created from cells and as far as Mix could see — no one was there.

"Here, this way. That's my table," Sheriff LeBlanc pointed at the desk closest to the cells.

Mix was walking behind him, looking around at the photos of members of the police force hanging on the walls — more to distract himself than because he was interested in it. "Oh, this one, is this your father? You look alike — hey, hey, what — what are you doing? Let — let go of me! Hey!" Mix was trying to get out of the sheriff's hold as he was pushed into one of the empty cells.

"I'm sorry, son, but I can't let you go up there in this weather," Sheriff LeBlanc pushed Mix into the cell and locked it before Mix could turn around and try to get out.

Mix grabbed the cell's door shaking them repeatably, "let me out! This is a violation of human rights. You can't keep me here!"

"It's not if I'm protecting you from entering a life-threatening situation, which going up there to the cabin in this weather a hundred per cent is! I advise you to make yourself comfortable, Mix. You are staying there until you get your rational sense back." Sheriff LeBlanc's face looked like it was made of stone. It seemed that there was nothing that could convince him to let Mix go.

Mix ducked his head down, let out a desperate sigh, and looked back at the sheriff. "Sheriff please, I'm in my right mind — my mind is more clear than ever before. Please let me go. I'm taking all the responsibility on myself. I'll sign any paper. Anything."

The sheriff's shoulders fell, he leaned on his desk, "there is no paper, Mix. I just needed to get you here. The weather should get better in two days, then I'll let you go and you can do whatever you want — I won't stop you."

"Two days?! Sheriff —"

"No, Mix! You are not going out sooner. Hate me as much as you want to after, but at least nothing will happen to you."

Mix closed his eyes, his forehead slightly touching the iron bars of the cell, feeling its coldness. "Nothing will happen to me — you are right about that," he breathed out for himself, his hands clenching the cell door tightly.

"Mix," the sheriff walked closer to Mix, "tell me why do you need to go there now, why it can't wait?"

Mix bit his lip, he could feel his chest fighting every second he was locked in that stupid cell, "the ghost — he isn't just a ghost and I'm not afraid of him, and he isn't hurting me in any way. We," Mix took a deep breath, "we love each other."

Sheriff LeBlanc scoffed, "Mix —"

"No, no, listen to me — you know the True Love Legend, right? It's real, it's —"

The sheriff shook his head and Mix could see the disappointment in his eyes, "stop this nonsense. If you want to lie to me at least come up with something more believable. I'll be back later with some food."

"Sheriff," Mix screamed after the sheriff, "sheriff, wait, please, please...fuck." He sat down on the cold floor, his back hurting from the iron bars of the cell he was leaning on. He looked up, his eyes landing on the small clock hanging on the wall. Wooow clock inside of the cell, how generous, Mix rolled his eyes, but they were heavy. A long yawn erupted from Mix when he looked closely at the time — five minutes past midnight.

"Happy New Year, Earth," Mix closed his eyes, his hands clenched on his chest, "if you are still there."

To be continued...

P.S. Happy Pride Month, darlings 🏳️‍🌈