Part fifteen: what's my age again?

"There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age."

- Sophia Loren

What was Mix supposed to say? Should he say the truth? Would Earth be alright with Mix telling the truth?

The eyes of sheriff LeBlanc were starring intensely at Mix, waiting for the answer.

The truth was it, then.

Mix coughed, his throat still felt uncomfortable. "No, I haven't seen any ghost," he said. It was the truth. Mix haven't seen Earth yet. He didn't count that white blur on the photo — that could be hardly counted as Earth.

Sheriff LeBlanc seemed to be relieved hearing Mix's answer, "oh, that's good. That's very good. I mean, you aren't here for so long, maybe it takes some time."

"Or maybe ghosts don't exist," Mix pointed out something that not so long ago was for him not only a hopeful statement but a pure fact.

Crazy how fast life changes.

The sheriff laughed awkwardly, "yes, maybe. I really need to go now. So are you sure you are okay, Mix?"

No. "Yes. I'm okay, no worries." Mix could feel the coldness, but this time behind him — Earth.

"Then see you next week, Mix and if you need anything just call me, okay?"

"Well, if I catch the mobile service..." Mix chuckled, kindly wanting sheriff LeBlanc to already be gone.

When the sheriff's Jeep finally pulled away from the cabin, swirling the fallen foliage in the air, Mix took a deep breath and turned around.

Surprisingly the first thing that happened— Mix got wrapped in the blanket. Earth's hands glided on Mix's body once again through the blanket. But Earth said nothing.

"Earth...Earth I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that...I...I wasn't thinking," Mix said, clutching the blanket closer to himself, not so much because he was cold, more like he wanted to feel protected.

It was as if hours passed and there was still no sound from Earth. The silence in the cabin was so loud. The only thing that made Mix feel better was Earth's shoulder that was still there, lightly touching Mix's blanketed one.

"Say something...please," Mix whispered.

"You are shaking, Mix, go back to bed," Earth's voice was way softer than Mix had expected.

But Mix also haven't realized that he was shaking. Mix wasn't so sure that it was from flu.

"I'm sorry. I really didn't mean it like that." Mix tried to apologize again, he wanted Earth to act with him the way he did before those stupid words left Mix's mouth. Mix needed Earth to act the same.

"I know. Let's just forget about it," Earth said, stepping away from Mix so their shoulders weren't touching anymore.

Mix hesitantly nodded his head, "umm, okay. But before I go to bed I'm going to prepare for myself something delicious, okay?"

Mix's voice was getting more confident and playful with every word, making Earth's chuckle, "okay, just be careful."

"I'm always careful."

.....

Earth was watching Mix shuffling with the big thick blanket all over the kitchen, preparing an omelette. Mix looked so tiny and adorable wrapped in that blanket, wiggling himself back and forth, searching for everything he needed. Earth just wanted to pat his head, but he couldn't.

Earth wasn't exactly in on Praewa's idea to get Mix into the cabin. All those years there was no one who would give Earth at least the spark of hope that maybe this is it, maybe this is the person who would bring Earth back to life. The person that Earth would feel that all-consuming feeling of adoration, fondness, belonging — the burning passion of being in love.

No matter how many times Praewa tried. In the end, he only ruined Praewa's life; the sole life he once saved.

So what would change if Mix came to the Ghost Cabin?

Nothing.

Earth would just ruin the life of another member of Praewa's family. Earth didn't want that. He still doesn't, but now, with Mix, Earth feels the hope.

There was something that was pulling him to Mix from the beginning. No matter how many times Earth asked himself, he couldn't find the answer as to what that something was. Maybe it was only because Earth heard Praewa talk so much about Mix that it was already like Earth knew Mix even before they actually met.

Or it was because despite Mix's stubborn nature of not believing that ghosts do exist, the moment he find out that there was a ghost in the Ghost Cabin, he didn't just straight-up run away. Or it may be the fact that Mix wasn't scared of Earth. Mix was not afraid to tell Earth what he really thought. Or it might have been in the way how their conversations just seem to flow naturally.

There was a certain dynamic between them that made Earth actually see things in a better light after decades of hopeless darkness.

When Mix jokingly said that he felt like he is about to join Earth in his ghost life, even Earth was surprised by his reaction. There was a sudden terror that surrounded him. It was like the idea of Mix dying and becoming a ghost was somehow worse than Earth's own death and ghost life.

It was ridiculous. Especially knowing that even if Mix would die, it wouldn't be in a violent way so there would be no reason for him to become a ghost in the first place. So, why should Earth feel like that, knowing Mix for only what felt like a blink of an eye for him. But he couldn't help himself. And frankly speaking, he didn't want to. For the first time in his ghost existence, there was someone who was giving him hope. And Earth was not about to pass on out that opportunity.

But what about Mix?

Mix was the one who had Earth's fate in his hands. The legend was relentless; it doesn't matter if the ghost loves the person if the person doesn't love the ghost back. Could they both in the future love each other? Could Mix possibly go from not believing in ghosts to loving one?

Mix was almost done with his omelette, serving it on a white ceramic plate, pouring an interesting amount of ketchup on it. One side of the blanket was slowly slipping from his shoulder, uncovering a lilac short sleeve t-shirt underneath.

Mix let out a set of disagreeing noises, wiggling his shoulders, trying to get the blanket back at its previous spot, as his hands were busy with a plate and mug of hot tea.

Earth shook his head at the helpless boy in front of him and stepping closer he covered Mix's shoulder again.

"Thank you," Mix smiled while making his way on the sofa.

"Do you think, having eggs as the first big meal after you haven't eaten properly for a few days is a good idea?" Earth asked, eyeing the plate.

"Yup," Mix said taking his first bite. Delicious!

"Are you sure?"

"Earth, shut up!" Mix rolled his eyes, taking another bite.

"Language, Mix. I'm older," Earth said, but there was a small smile painted on Earth's face.

Mix turned to where he heard Earth's voice coming from, "oh, yeah exactly." Mix pointed a fork in the air, "mind telling me how old are you actually? Wait," Mix's eyes got wide, "you must be at least as old as my grandma was."

To be continued...

P.S. Mix asking a valid question here 🧐