part fifty-three: everything crumbles down

"He who learns must suffer. And in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."

- Aeschylus

"What's happening?" The low growling voice asked

"The cabin — it's shaking!"

"I fucking see that, you idiot, but why?"

"Maybe, maybe we should go somewhere else. What if it's an earthquake? That's dangerous."

"Earthquake? What are you tal—" at that moment a huge pile of snow from the roof fell on the two poachers, knocking the younger of them to his knees.

"Ughh...ah fuck...shit...let's go out of here," the older man grabbed the younger harshly by his arm and dragged him through the tons of snow away from the Ghost Cabin.

"Fucking earthquake!" Earth could hear the younger scream before they got lost in the snow.

Earth felt dizzy. His vision got blurry and his legs felt weak, he need to sit down for a minute. It was strange, feeling like that — it doesn't happen to ghosts, ever— it shouldn't. But it was also the first time he tried something like that and he was at the crucial point of his regeneration, and Mix wasn't with him. He was going to be alright. Just a few minutes and he'll be fine.

He sat down on the sofa, closed his eyes and massaged his temples, trying to make his body feel better. His mind wandered to Mix — as it always did. What was he doing now? He should be back soon. Will he be proud of Earth that he saved the cabin alone?

Earth smiled, of course, he will. Maybe Earth will get a hug or kiss, or both. He couldn't wait to hold his angel in his arms again. To feel the warmth of his body, to get covered in the sweet peachy scent Earth fell in love with.

He didn't know how much time had passed when he opened his eyes again but he felt better. however, that feeling didn't last long. A frown appeared on his face, his hands — they were see-through again.

.....

Mix's phone was dead, and despite having the clock in the cell he had no idea how much time had passed. It could have been only a few hours or he could have been there for the said two days already.

He was sleeping, waking up, overthinking, and sleeping again — it was like a cursed circle and Mix couldn't find the way out. He ate a little bit of what sheriff LeBlanc brought him but he did it mostly just to have some energy to get back to Earth, rather than anything else.

He wasn't mad at the sheriff. Mix understood that what he had said could have sounded strange or borderline crazy to the outsiders, even if it was complete truth. Mix didn't feel anything to anyone nor did he want something from someone. The only thing he needed was to know if Earth was alright and to hold him in his arms.