Are You Okay?

Hearing the doorbell ring, Kokichi scampered to conceal the evidence that he'd been watching a movie in one of the living rooms. His parents were out introducing Kaho to gambling, so Kokichi had been enjoying the rare moment of experiencing things outside of his basement.

Making his way to the door, Kokichi opened it, expecting his parents to be home, but found Kirigiri and Celestia standing there. "Oh, what do you two want?"

"I'd like to talk to you, and you've been ignoring my messages." Great, just fucking great.

"Alright, come in." Kokichi stepped to the side, letting the girls inside before closing the door behind them and leading them to the nearest living room. If Mother and Father come home, I'm fucked.

"You have a nice home Ouma," Kirigiri stated.

"Thanks, now what do you two want?" Kokichi stood in front of the girls who now sat on the couch.

"Kyoko has helped me do some research about that person who beat me that night at your casino." I bet you're wrong. "We know it was you." Fuck, maybe I can trick them. Kokichi sighed, rolling his eyes and putting his hands on his hips.

"Are you sure? I don't remember gambling and I'd be stupid to go against you."

"You were wearing your old mask from your DICE organisation," Kirigiri interjected. 

"Look, fine maybe it was. If you're after the money I'll give it back eventually, I'll just need time." He unintentionally behaved as if collectors had come for a loan, not wanting Celestia to feel cheated out of the money Kokichi never ended up keeping.

"No, the money isn't a problem. In fact, there is no problem, I'm just glad I found someone who can offer a challenge." Celestia smiled at her fake boyfriend, her hands clasped in her lap.

"Ouma, there's something else we need to talk about. Shuichi needs to see you in person, he's busy right now and requested we come and find you." Kirigiri stood from her seat, patting out her skirt to return it to its normal position.

"If you didn't notice, I'm housesitting for my parents right now. I don't have the time to leave. Tell Shuichi we can talk at school." Kokichi turned on his heel, readying for the girls to leave.

"When do your parents come home?"

"A few hours, why?" Kokichi turned back to Celestia, seeing her malicious smile. The two nodded at each other, the boy understanding the telepathic suggestion. I suppose all the chores are done, I should be fine to leave. "Alright, I'll need to grab a few things first."

Making his way to the basement, Kokichi grabbed his usual belongings, unaware of the girls following him to the top of the stairs. "You have a basement? Is this your bedroom?" Kirigiri asked, investigating the room from her position.

"Not really, my room's getting redone so I'm staying here until it's finished," Kokichi lied through his teeth, ushering the girls out of the home. Right, basements aren't that common, are they? He noticed the strange expression Celestia shot him but ignored it to prevent further conversation on the topic as the three walked down the street. "You walked all the way here? Isn't Shuichi's house ages away?"

"Thirty-minute walk. We can catch a taxi if you'd prefer?" Kirigiri offered.

"No, I'm not paying a stranger to kidnap me thanks," Kokichi joked, looking up to the sky and breathing in the fresh air, silently ecstatic to be outside of the home for once during the weekend. He only left the home to go to school or the casino, unless his parents were taking him somewhere such as Rantaro's house to complete a project. On his own, during the cool weekend, with no parents around to threaten him as he went to a friends house. It felt too good to be true.

~💙/💜/💚~

Once the three reached the Kirigiri-Saihara household, a question popped into Kokichi's mind that he'd randomly questioned throughout the years of knowing his friend. "Kirigiri, why hasn't Shuichi changed his family name?"

"He wants to make a name for himself using his parents' name as a way to get back at them and not let them 'win the fight', as he puts it. His parents abandoned the name anyway for some reason, I think it's to do with their twisted idea of fame."

"Hm, interesting," Kokichi mumbled. He'd always known of Shuichi's parents leaving him with his uncle and running away to America to become Hollywood famous, the story made his stomach wrench with rage towards the adults. Kirigiri unlocked the front door and immediately after the guests entered the home, Shuichi ran over and hugged Kokichi.

"Kokichi, hi, come on let's go upstairs." Shuichi hurried, grabbing the boy's hand and pulling him upstairs towards the bedroom.

"Woah, slow down cowboy. What's the rush?" Kokichi chuckled as the boy pulled him into the room, closing the door behind them. "You got a condom?"

"We- I didn't bring you here to have sex." Shuichi sighed, rolling his eyes and failing to hide the faint smile dancing behind his lips.

"Then what did you bring me here for? Want to sacrifice me to the Lord?" Kokichi grinned, stepping back. "You'll have to catch me first."

"Kokichi I need to seriously talk to you about something." Shuichi's attitude flipped as he approached the boy, pulling him towards the bed and sitting on it cross-legged, Kokichi matching his position. "I'm worried about you. Your reaction yesterday to Kaito was so out of character for you."

Groaning, Kokichi leant to the side to get up and leave. Shuichi noticed and grabbed his arm, pulling him back and pleading with his eyes for the boy to stay. "Kokichi, I'm not the only one who's worried. Kaito was talking about your dad and then you smashed his head into the desk, that's a little bit telling."

"Telling of what?" Kokichi snapped, wanting nothing more than to leave before he became vulnerable.

"Well, let's just say everyone's going to think you're being abused. Why did you react like that? I know you two have never gotten along but I know you, and I know you avoid physically hurting people." Shuichi's wide, pleading eyes begged the boy for an explanation, melting Kokichi's heart.

"You could've messaged me about it," Kokichi mumbled, attempting to dance around the topic.

"I know you'd never talk to me if I did that. Kyoko was willing to help so I asked her to try and get you back here since you know as well as I that you never would've talked about it otherwise." You're not wrong. "Please, I just want to know what else is going on. Are you okay?"

"Would you appreciate Momota, or anyone, saying that about your uncle?" Kokichi retorted, offering an explanation Shuichi could associate with. "You'd be mad too, wouldn't you?"

"I wouldn't hit someone over it the way you did, but I know what you're saying." Shuichi lowered his head, his ahoge slightly flopping over his forehead. "Kaito might have a point though, Rantaro and I suggested the topic for a reason."

"Saihara." Kokichi's voice dripped with scorn. "I'm not here to be lectured, especially not by my best friend."

"Sorry, can we just hang out for a while? I want to make sure you're okay, that's all."

"Fine," He looked at his fingernails. "I guess I can beat your ass at a few games." Kokichi grinned, seeing Shuichi look at him in his peripherals.

"Oh yeah? I'd like to see you try. Mario Kart, now." 

"You're on bitch." Kokichi chuckled, racing Shuichi to the Wii in his room.