서른여섯

Seoreunyeoseot

Seoreunyeoseot

thirty-six

** GRAPHIC DEPICTION OF DEATH**

"Pyeha, please! Don't do th-" Blood sprayed across his face and eyes looked down at the wide terror filled eyes, gurgling wet mouth and sliced open neck. Smirking, he eyed another one of his so-called soldiers. The bastard had tried to run. How could he call himself a man? How could he abandon his duty? He wasn't loyal. None of them were. Turning towards the man, he began to laugh as he attempted to run away. He'd deal with all of these little insects first. And then, he'd move up to the bigger ones.

***

The sound of a horse brought their attention toward the doors, still under orders to be closed. Slim nervous hands clutched themselves together and breath could not come fast enough. The sound of feet hitting the dirt happened next and firm eyes looked across at the three young women hugging each other, stiff with fear.

"Mother," That got her attention and she let her eyes fall back onto the closed door.

"I will have Mishil brought here to you. Tiye will escort her." Cheol-su? She bit the inside of her cheek as she listened quietly.

"I don't know where Father is. Or where Seo Jun is. For now, stay here. When it is safe, we will send for you." Feet walked away and the horse soon left them. With her stern gaze, she bid the young women not to speak. Her own throat tight, she glanced down at her hands. All of this was a nightmare. She'd known it had been coming. But to be so swift and sudden. What would have happened if Cheol-su had not returned to us? What if he had've stayed in the foreign land? Swallowing, she inhaled and exhaled through her nostrils and closed her eyes, listening to the breathing of her maids and the occasional step of the guards outside. She'd keep them closed until she was certain that she could wake and all be right again.

***

The unnamed stallion's hooves pounded against the ground and his hair whipped almost wildly around him. Long ago he'd lost his hair ribbon. It didn't matter. What did, however, was his brother's location. Something was not sitting right in his stomach. How he had just disappeared. He pressed the stallion in the direction of the east gate. This side curiously seemed to not have any invaders...lest they be the slain bodies he galloped past in his arrival. Licking dry lips, he scanned the scenes in front of him, his heart growing fast. Those...those weren't Mongols. The labored beast's breath came fast and hard through his nose and he at once slowed him, a firm pat against his neck.